Retro carrier fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retro carrier fit

Thought i'd add this in case anyone wants to do a similar fit, took me a while to obtain a carrier as some will probably remember, anyway got one but not the latch plate so i'm going to have to make something, as i did'nt want to change the tail gate i decieded to "alter " some bits to suit, starting with the number plate surround--
    i quite liked the original surround and decieded to try and alter it (shorten it)
    to fit on the n/s of the gate, the pic's show basicly what i did better than i can explain, luckily it's made out of ABS chromed plastic and is pretty easy to cut, and waste pipe glue was used to stick it together, along with some angle upvc bits and filler, i screwed it to the gate and filled it insutu so i got the correct contours, then sanded primed and sprayed with truck colour and finished with laquer, i used some ultra bright white leds for the plate lighting as the old holders were to big to fit in the top, last one is all bolted up and lit
    (with some red leds for a bit of b0llocks)
    Attached Files
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Next the carrier,
    If your going to replace the tailgate with a rear slung one then you'll need to do it a slightly different way ie- fit the gate with latch plate get someone to help hold the carrier in place (latched) and then mark the holes, however as i did'nt get the plate (or the bolts, tight s.o.b) i got some help to hold it in place marked the holes and worry about the latch later, first tho i had to make a plate to cover the great big void where the old no plate unit went, i had some "poor mans" stainless steel from the bus days which is ideal as it dont rust and is'nt as difficult to work as hard s/s, once this was in place i fitted the carrier with some very big bolts and even bigger washers, bit of a bugga on ya jack but it's solid, for the latch i found the ones that the back seats clip onto were perfect, these have long bolts that fit in from inside the gate and have nuts and washers to make up the space between the gate and the new plate so it's all nice and solid, the carrier latches on there with a nice smooth action, last pic is whats going to be the top hook thing that seats on the plastic effort thats clipped on the top tube, (understand that?, i frekkin dont) i'm going to make a lockable latch thingy to go on there, stop the local scroats playing with it,
    once that's all finished i'll remove the plate and paint it in truck colour,

plate painted and laqured
    Attached Files
    Last edited by POPEYE; 1 February 2008, 16:21.

Comment

Excellent work sir, and good to see the truck remained shiny throughout the operation.

You don't wanna see mine at the moment!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        Excellent work sir, and good to see the truck remained shiny throughout the operation.

You don't wanna see mine at the moment!
        I'm very carefull with me fileings it's covered with red spray dust from the carrier painting tho, looks like the "ripley's" been at it

I'm sure your truck will outshine and outrun all the others mate
        Last edited by POPEYE; 30 January 2008, 18:55.

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
          I'm very carefull with me fileings it's covered with red spray dust from the carrier painting tho, looks like the "ripley's" been at it

I'm sure your truck will outshine and outrun all the others mate
          I'll let you have a drive if you're going to the RTTS '08.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            I'll let you have a drive if you're going to the RTTS '08.
            Will look forward to that mate, are you near completion then?

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
              Will look forward to that mate, are you near completion then?

Another week or so, waiting on deliveries, two from the U.S..

Comment

Nice write up and pics

Where the carrier bolts on the body did you reinforce the body skin?
                Wax on, wax off

Comment

Originally posted by Fordy View Post
                  Nice write up and pics

Where the carrier bolts on the body did you reinforce the body skin?
                  Well i used some very big flat type washers, i think it'll be strong enough, plus i used 6 large bolts that just fit through the holes in the hinges so there should'nt be any "play" plus the two smaller bolts, plus mastic
                  the whole thing seems pretty sound, thanks for the comment Fordy

Comment

All done and dusted, just need a decent lookin wheel to go on there, while i was at it i retrimmed the tailgate, new carpet and paint, also gave the glass runners and inside a good greaseing, plus removed that dam urban sporty film cr@p from the window, looks a lot better without that,
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice work there Ian
                      I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by jotto View Post
                        Nice work there Ian
                        Cheer's Jon! at last i got one

Comment

Working...