Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 Diesel conversion

Hi guys
    I am a newbie and just recently bought my first surf, I love the truck but at the same time i'm bricking it about the horror stories about heads and would also like a bit more perfomance and power so has anyone heard of a v8 diesel conversion or a another big diesel conversion i could look into ?

cheers Chris

Originally posted by bigwheeler View Post
    Hi guys
    I am a newbie and just recently bought my first surf, I love the truck but at the same time i'm bricking it about the horror stories about heads and would also like a bit more perfomance and power so has anyone heard of a v8 diesel conversion or a another big diesel conversion i could look into ?

cheers Chris
    Bushwacker is in the proccess of fitting a v8 lexus motor into his surf and Surfenstein has already done a v8 conversion
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Yeah i have read about them but there petrol conversions i want a diesel as i already have a old car with a v8 in so looking at trying to have a bit of economy with the surf

Comment

Yeah i have read about them but there petrol conversions i want a diesel as i already have a old car with a v8 in so looking at trying to have a bit of economy with the surf
        pm or email bushy or stein and either of them will give you the best advice they can
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Flog it an get a landcruiser!

But seriously - i wouldn't know what engine to suggest putting in with regards to a diesel V8, but what i do know is that if you pull it off! you'd have one powerful surf!

Comment

4.2 lancruiser lump would be a good one,apparently thats where my turbo came from,so cant be that diffrent,and i can do burnouts with my 3.0 lol,not that ive tried

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
              4.2 lancruiser lump would be a good one,apparently thats where my turbo came from,so cant be that diffrent,and i can do burnouts with my 3.0 lol,not that ive tried
              The 4.2 won't fit in the Surf's engine bay, the two extra cylinders makes it a long engine.

Comment

Its a flat 6 or Straight 6 cylinder Lump
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

the only big v8 diesel that springs to mind is the 6.2ltr gmc unit,loads of people have swapped this engine in to a range rover,so if you can get hold of a manual toyota box and can get someone to modify the surf manual flywheel and make some engine mounts and exhaust headers then bobs your uncle and fannys your aunt.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

These Aussie guys shove the GMC V8 diesel into Landcruisers

http://www.linquip.com.au/

Also, have a search through Google - there's loads of info out there.

http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/

These guys comment about dropping this unit into Landies - some interesting stuff about engine though.....

http://forums.lr4x4.com/lofiversion/...php/t3470.html
                    Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 28 January 2008, 19:02.
                    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

thats what i was hoping to hear surfenstein
                      I was thinking about a gm 6.6 v8 and being normaly aspirated it has a chance to be more economicle than the surfs 2.4.
                      But could i not mate one upto an auto box

Comment

thats what i was hoping to hear surfenstein
                        I was thinking about a gm 6.6 v8 and being normaly aspirated it has a chance to be more economicle than the surfs 2.4.
                        But could i not mate one upto an auto box
                        6.6ltr V8 getting better economy then the 2.4? Buddy - i will give you £50 if thats the case!!

The autobox in the surf is controlled by the engine ECU - so no engine, no autobox im afraid mate!

Comment

I'm lucky if i get about 17 mpg out of my surf (I had a nissan skyline before the surf and got the same mpg from that)
                          So a v8 diesel would more than likely be more economecal as it woudlnt be straining to pull the weight of the surf, plus no turbo.

Comment

The Lexus quad cam V8 does around 30mpg, and is around 100kg lighter than the 2.4 lump.
                            My truck has now got an instant 2" lift on the front!

Comment

I'm lucky if i get about 17 mpg out of my surf (I had a nissan skyline before the surf and got the same mpg from that)
                              So a v8 diesel would more than likely be more economecal as it woudlnt be straining to pull the weight of the surf, plus no turbo.
                              17mpg? wow! Is your truck running larger tyres?

I can see your logic, Its the same logic that states the 3.0ltr surf is the same on fuel as the 2.4 - because its not being booted all the time its easier on the fuel.

But to a certain extent i personally think that the logic, whilst on the ball - goes off a bit. say the 2.4 sat in traffic, idling at 700rpm - its 4 cylinders at 600cc each is going to X amount of fuel - a 6.6ltr idling at 700rpm - its 8 cylinders at 825cc each is going to use more fuel just sat still - I dont wanna be an a$$ - i think a big diesel V8 would be absolutly awesome!!

I just dont think that one of that capacity can be 'economical'

but seriously do it!!! It cant be that much worse then 17 - even if it drops to say 14-15, think of the power! Muahahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X