Suspension/Body lift question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension/Body lift question

Just about to purchase my first Surf, 3.0 SSR X and have been reading the posts on suspension and body lifts.

I assume that the suspension lift is for ground clearance, and body lift is for extra wheel travel/clearance.

If this is correct, what generally is the first lift - I would assume suspension is the first - and what size lift is the best? How does this affect the handling?

Cheers in advance,

Nick.

P.S. Excellent site
    Last edited by Nick V; 25 February 2004, 13:18.
    "The force will be with you, always!"

Originally posted by Nick V
    Just about to purchase my first Surf, 3.0 SSR X and have been reading the posts on suspension and body lifts.

I assume that the suspension lift is for ground clearance, and body lift is for extra wheel travel/clearance.

If this is correct, what generally is the first lift - I would assume suspension is the first - and what size lift is the best? How does this affect the handling?

Cheers in advance,

Nick.

P.S. Excellent site
    Nick,

Welcome aboard!

Neither lift gives extra ground clearance in itself. A 2" Susp and 2 " Body combined lift allows you to get 32" tyres on (with a bit of arch/bumper trimming) which will give extra ground clearance.
    Unlifted you should be able to get 31" tyres on easily.
    Do a search on lifts - this was all covered in great detail a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by Linda; 25 February 2004, 14:30.
    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the reply Linda, I'll have a look at the other posts,

Nick

Comment

Oops, one other thing I have read about the rear end 'sag' on the Surf. Is this a general thing or only when the springs get really bad? What is the best way to correct this - should I have it of course

Cheers, Nick.

Comment

Oops, one other thing I have read about the rear end 'sag' on the Surf. Is this a general thing or only when the springs get really bad? What is the best way to correct this - should I have it of course

Cheers, Nick.
          Rear end sag is fairly common, especially (but not exclusively) on 2nd Gen models. The cure ? new springs.
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Thanks Morr. Is that standard springs or uprated/longer, and is it worth doing shocks at the same time? If that's the case, does the front end need changing?

Cheers, Nick.

Comment

Thanks Morr. Is that standard springs or uprated/longer, and is it worth doing shocks at the same time? If that's the case, does the front end need changing?

Cheers, Nick.
              If you just want to cure the sag then standard height springs will do, altough uprated ones seem to be the way to go (better for towing/load carrying), if you increase the height than you can crank up the front torsion bars to suit (within limits).
              Its always a good idea to change the shocks at the same time if you can afford it, especially if they are getting a bit old, if you change the height of the springs than new longer shocks are pretty much essential.

As Linda sai, there are plenty of the posts on the forum covering this topic, from people more knowledgable on this topic than myself, keep searching, you're sure to find all the info you need.

Happy Surfin

****edited to cure my lousy spelling once more, hey mods, any chance of a spellchecker??*****
              Last edited by Morr; 26 February 2004, 17:00.
              Maurice
              Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Morr, thanks again for the advice,

Nick

Comment

Right I have looked at the threads on this site and the US one and still have a few questions....

Suspension lifts at back are easy and new springs and shocks deliver ok but what about the front? There is discussion as to CV wear etc and lower the front diff to compensate for the increased angle. So my questions here are:

1) How much lift for what loss of CV longevity? (like that word!) as dropping the front diff below the cross member doesn't sound attractive coz its gonna get bashed down there!

2) What is the stated min/max angle for the CV?

3) Would a body lift and bigger tyres be a better option for normal on road off road stuff?

4) Insurance issues? How far can you go (sus / body lift) before insurance is non-standard and only a couple of places will touch you? Our insurance said sus 2" lift no probs but coupled with a body lift and who knows!

5) Do you need an engineer's report for insurance if you go body and sus lift?

6) How big can the tyres get before issues with auto box and transfer box etc?

These questions don't seem to have been discussed before and would complete the picture for lifting I think.

Anyone have any answers? The US guys seem to have this one nailed except for the above.

Cheers
                  Mart

......surf's up pal!

Comment

Originally posted by Mart
                    Right I have looked at the threads on this site and the US one and still have a few questions....

Suspension lifts at back are easy and new springs and shocks deliver ok but what about the front? There is discussion as to CV wear etc and lower the front diff to compensate for the increased angle. So my questions here are:

1) How much lift for what loss of CV longevity? (like that word!) as dropping the front diff below the cross member doesn't sound attractive coz its gonna get bashed down there!
                    1 1/2 inches. The diff is OK, it sits on a fat crossmember, the only way to improve diff clearance front or rear is bigger tyres, which need lift to clear the bodywork, be more interested in improving traction by getting Mud Terrain tyres, and rear bumper departure angle by lifting the truck a little.

2) What is the stated min/max angle for the CV?
                    Not much more than standard.

3) Would a body lift and bigger tyres be a better option for normal on road off road stuff?
                    Fotr normal on road offroad playing, you won't need bigger than 31" so all these questions are moot, 33's will give you a big advantage in any ruts you find but need 4+inches of any combination of lift, 35's are better, but need more mods to work properly.

4) Insurance issues? How far can you go (sus / body lift) before insurance is non-standard and only a couple of places will touch you? Our insurance said sus 2" lift no probs but coupled with a body lift and who knows!
                    You can go as high as you want, its only limited by your wallet and common sence, 44" are legal on the road.

5) Do you need an engineer's report for insurance if you go body and sus lift?
                    Only if the ins. Co want it.

6) How big can the tyres get before issues with auto box and transfer box etc?
                    Not really an issue, big tyres raise the gearing, hitting performance and mpg in a big way. You need to be regeaing the diffs for 33-35" or bigger tyres.

These questions don't seem to have been discussed before and would complete the picture for lifting I think.
                    search for all the keywords, they have been discussed plenty.

Anyone have any answers? The US guys seem to have this one nailed except for the above.

Cheers
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

tony,
                      thanks for the reply sounds like 2" rear lift, 1.5" front lift, 2" body lift and 31" tyres would give me a better look and a little better off road.

cheers
                      Mart

......surf's up pal!

Comment

Originally posted by Mart
                        tony,
                        thanks for the reply sounds like 2" rear lift, 1.5" front lift, 2" body lift and 31" tyres would give me a better look and a little better off road.

cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X