• Show
Clear All

• OME 2" Lift installed on a 3rd Gen

Been busy today with the spring compressors and socket set

heres the before pics

And heres what is looks like after a bit of blood and sweat
    (no tears tho)

old and new front springs

It actually went quite well and was pretty straight forward to do. I installed OME 891 springs in the back which are rated to carry a permanant load of 150kg's with standard rear shocks for now until funds allow. I went with OME 881 front springs which are classed as heavy duty with N91sc shocks which i think are also heavy duty too. I instantly noticed are more aggressive stance than with the old setup and after using a tape measure before and after i got 55mm lift in the front and 65mm in the back. Very happy with the ride quality and cant wait to try it down some local green lanes.

Can any 3rd gen owners who have a 2" lift tell me what size tyres they are running? I currently have 265 70 16's and will most prob go with 265 75's (i have 8" rims)

cheers

Luke
    3rd Gen 4" Lift 33" Goodyear MTR's

Looking good, well done! Old Man Emu- rated one of the best for suspension.
    Powered by Toyota!

Comment

Originally posted by Luke4Runner
      Been busy today with the spring compressors and socket set

heres the before pics

And heres what is looks like after a bit of blood and sweat
      (no tears tho)

old and new front springs

It actually went quite well and was pretty straight forward to do. I installed OME 891 springs in the back which are rated to carry a permanant load of 150kg's with standard rear shocks for now until funds allow. I went with OME 881 front springs which are classed as heavy duty with N91sc shocks which i think are also heavy duty too. I instantly noticed are more aggressive stance than with the old setup and after using a tape measure before and after i got 55mm lift in the front and 65mm in the back. Very happy with the ride quality and cant wait to try it down some local green lanes.

Can any 3rd gen owners who have a 2" lift tell me what size tyres they are running? I currently have 265 70 16's and will most prob go with 265 75's (i have 8" rims)

cheers

Luke

looking good my friend.cant wait for us to go on the big trip to a wales. speak to you later dude
      tommyguns

Comment

hey luke. if i get a 3rd gen next year will you put a lift on mine. please please please
        tommyguns

Comment

Good work!!!

I'll be looking at doing this to my gen 3 soon Keeps up updated on what tyres fit nicely!
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra
            Good work!!!

I'll be looking at doing this to my gen 3 soon Keeps up updated on what tyres fit nicely!
            Will do!

Comment

Looks good
              I have 265/75/16 fitted to my unmodified 3rd gen already, if you do the math, there only 13.25mm bigger

I've made a 30mm body lift kit whitch I hope to put on this weekend (weather permiting) and will then do the suspension, will probably go with spacers on front and 2" longer springs/shocks on the back.

You say in your post you used standard shocks, will these give enough travel? will not bother to change them on mine if they will do.

Also, how much were your springs and where did you buy them.

Regards

Mark......
              Let taste be the enemy of art!

Comment

Originally posted by MrE
                Looks good

I have 265/75/16 fitted to my unmodified 3rd gen already, if you do the math, there only 13.25mm bigger

I've made a 30mm body lift kit whitch I hope to put on this weekend (weather permiting) and will then do the suspension, will probably go with spacers on front and 2" longer springs/shocks on the back.

You say in your post you used standard shocks, will these give enough travel? will not bother to change them on mine if they will do.

Regards

Mark......
                Standard shocks on the back are unlikely to give me enough travel when off roading but are ok for now. I've had no topping out yet but plan to change them soon. I paid £360 all in for the front and £100 for the rear coils off my bro in law who had them on his LC Colorado for about a week. Much more (cost wise) than the Procomp lift but after driving his LC before and after i couldnt believe the difference the Old man Emu kit makes. Im hoping to squeeze 285 75 16 BFG MT's under there soon but i think it will require me doing a 2" body lift as well. I've done a 2" body lift before on my old 4 Runner and it wasnt too much hassle, so just gotta source all the parts and jump to it I'm lucky really as i have a brother in law who's very savvy at this sort of stuff and will help me out getting all the lift blocks and bolts etc made.

cheers

Luke

Comment

Originally posted by tommyguns2004
                  hey luke. if i get a 3rd gen next year will you put a lift on mine. please please please
                  Course i will!!! just make sure u bring the bud, bud

Comment

Course i will!!! just make sure u bring the bud, bud
                    will do kid
                    tommyguns

Comment

285/75/16 56.5mm bigger diameter

Mark.....
                      Let taste be the enemy of art!

Comment

Originally posted by MrE
                        http://www.devon4x4.com/

http://www.frogsisland4x4.com/

These two companies would be able to get OME stuff.

Comment

cheers

Luke
                          The 2nd post on this australian site should be read before thinking about larger tyres for a KZN185.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ic.php?t=13785

Comment

Originally posted by lclascaris
                            The 2nd post on this australian site should be read before thinking about larger tyres for a KZN185.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ic.php?t=13785
                            TO BACK THAT UP I DID A COMPARISION WITH MY BROTHERS 2.4 MANUAL
                            his revs are at 3k at 70mph ish and mine is 3k rpm at 95-100mph
                            tall gearing or wot
                            Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Update

Well after checking the prices of new tyres i am amazed that i can buy 285 75's or even 305 70's for the same price i can buy 265 75's for so am gonna go with a 2" body lift on the surf and fit 285 75 16 BFG MTs of Cooper STT's My Bro's got the Cooper STT's in 305 70 16 and they look awesome!! gonna fit them on once the body lift is done to see if there are any rubbing issues. If they rub then its gonna be the 285's. To be honest i dont mind either as they are both the same rolling diameter its just that the 305's are wider. Will post a new thread up on how the body lift went in a couple of weeks

Oh life was so much easier with the 2nd Gen and 33's

Cheers

Luke
                              Last edited by Luke4Runner; 1 October 2007, 19:52.

Comment

Working...
                              X