laser cutting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laser cutting.

any one know of an engineering firm that can do precision laser cutting in s/steel.? i fancy fabbing up one of those plates that weld on the rear axle from the diff housing along the axle tube,but i wanna get surfenstein cut into the plate first.any one know what im on about?
    www.overfab.uk

I could be talking rubbish here, but I think it's water jet cutting?
    At least that's what I've seen on telly.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

yea you could be right,either one will do the job,but i think water cutters are fairly new arnt they,so im just wondering wether most companys have that sort of technology at their finger tips,actually thinking about it plasma cutting would give it that rough edge look,might look better that way.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

We've got a laser at work. Give me rough dimensions & i will have a word in the new year

Comment

I think you may struggle to weld stainless to mild steel . I asked Jon that question once and he said no .
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
            any one know of an engineering firm that can do precision laser cutting in s/steel.? i fancy fabbing up one of those plates that weld on the rear axle from the diff housing along the axle tube,but i wanna get surfenstein cut into the plate first.any one know what im on about?
            parker steel in andover do laser and water jet but i think they like to have a good cad drawing supplied otherwise you will end up paying there guy to do it. www.parkersteel.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
              I think you may struggle to weld stainless to mild steel . I asked Jon that question once and he said no .

You can weld stainless to mild no problem at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Nismo
                You can weld stainless to mild no problem at all.
                you certainly can heres one i did earlier.

Last edited by surfenstein; 24 December 2006, 20:19.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

Right , I can know mod my exhaust then . Which wire did you use to weld with ?
                  Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

hi rick,i used a 306 stainless wire,just dont get it to hot or it will crack.but saying that you should be ok on exhaust tube.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Best to use a stainless filler wire & remember that mild has a higher melting point than stainless. Stainless is a lot less maleable than mild steel but will actually shrink more than mild once heated hence the welds "can" crack as the 2 steels are cooling & shrinking at different rates. If you know what you're doing though it shouldn't cause a problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X