Snorkel fitted.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snorkel fitted.....

Well, I decided to bite the bullet and drill some large holes in my pride and joy yesterday. Got a mate to help, and double check every measurement with me. Better safe than sorry!!

Made a nice early start. Removed the air filter box, and the bit of pipe that heads off down towards the headlight. Nice bit of working room in the engine bay, once that lot's gone! (First pic) You also have to remove the plastic wheel arch lining, to get at the bolts later..

Next, the template was taped onto the outside of the front wing, making sure it was lined up with the top edge, by the bonnet, and also the rear edge, by the passenger door. Holes were marked through the template, and the template then removed... (Second pic)

Now it got scary. The first damage was done when the five holes were centrepunched. (Four mounting holes, and one for the airway). no going back...

All five were pilot drilled, then I got busy with the 83mm holesaw. (pic 3) Actually, that's my mate in the pic, but he was just posing for the camera. I can assure you he didn't want to be the one to drill a sodding big hole in my truck! (Pic 4)

The snorkel comes with a couple of strengthening plates, so that when you drill an 89mm hole in the inner wing, the plates go around the hole, to restore any strength. One of these plates was used to mark the inner wing hole, and then that was drilled out. (Pic5). As the Safari snorkel is not specifically designed for a gen 2 Surf, there already is a built in strengthening brace around where these plates go, so I had to cut about a quarter of the outer support plate away, to fit around the brace. The next two pics show the support plates, from the inside and the outside..

The mounting holes were drilled the correct size (actually, the instructions said to open them up to 16mm, but I only had a 13mm drill, so that's the size they got drilled to!) They are oversize to allow for a bit of movement.

The snorkel can then be offered up to the truck, and the 'A' pillar marked for the securing bracket. Then the pillar needs to be drilled...... (Two pics, one of the holes, one with the bracket fitted)

Than it was just a case of bolting it all up tight. Bit fiddly to get at the bolts inside the inner wing, but a bit of perserverance (?) it can be done.

Bolt the top air intake on, and replace the inner wheel arch lining.

The rubber pipe hat comes with the snorkel isn't quite right for the 2.4 airfilter box, but it was easily adapted by cutting about 1/2 inch off it's length, and also a little crescent out of the bottom, to enable it to fit on to the air inlet pipe. Jubilee clipped all up, and job done!!! (last pics).

I love it, and am looking forward to the next floods!!!!!

As a test, I went out this morning, took the top off the snorkel, started the truck, and put my hand over the intake pipe. The rubber pipes got sucked in on themselves, and it nearly stalled, due to lack of air (I took my hand away to stop it stalling). I'd say this proves there's no major leaks on the inlet airways..

What do you think?
    Last edited by dave.j.robbo; 17 October 2006, 19:41.
    It just does, OK?

nice job dave !!!! looks real good dunno if i have the bottle to cut into my surf
    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

that looks fantastic, where did you get it from?? how much???

me want !!!!
      TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Very Nice Dave, ya coulda practiced on mine !!!!
        Come to think of it you still Could................
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Heh heh... I'd gladly help if anyone else wants to do the same..

Got mine, a Safari SS106HF from Stuart at www.gearedtogo.co.uk for the sum of £205 delivered... Bargain...
          It just does, OK?

Comment

Good job Dave, your wheels still look sh***y though.

Comment

im very interested too looks the dogs do-dars....

wonder if a few of us ordered we might get a small discount, but then again we might not...

well done dave!!!!!
              CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

That support plate wasn't in the kit when I fitted mine but I've recently found why they are needed. The inner wing has a split in it about 50mm long going downwards from the bottom of the hole. I checked the hole and there there were no stress raisers - it must be the flexing that's done it.
                Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  Good job Dave, your wheels still look sh***y though.
                  Jeez.. OK, I'll get to do them sometime.....
                  It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
                    That support plate wasn't in the kit when I fitted mine but I've recently found why they are needed. The inner wing has a split in it about 50mm long going downwards from the bottom of the hole. I checked the hole and there there were no stress raisers - it must be the flexing that's done it.
                    Lets hope that three bolts are enough to give it that extra strength, then..
                    It just does, OK?

Comment

Will you be doing this down the River Severn on your way to work now Dave?

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...9419284&q=jeep

Sorry for the blurred film.

Comment

Eek!! That's a bit TOO deep for my liking!
                        It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                          Eek!! That's a bit TOO deep for my liking!

Engine still running though, top marks.

Comment

you could do with this to go thru it
                            http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Monster-Truck-...QQcmdZViewItem
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Ermm, what are the speakers on the front bumper for, does it have a V8 soundtrack to go with the looks.

Comment

Working...
                              X