Fiddler Brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiddler Brakes?

OK, I was just soaking in the bath, mind wandering, and I got to thinking about Fiddler Brakes (stop smirking in the back!).

So, here's my thinking...

Somehow you add some additional cables to the hand-brake cables set up so that each cable pulls on one side of the system. Then using some fiddler levers mounted in the cab you can apply braking to one side, thus forcing the diff to apply power to the other side. I've not had a look at if it can be fitted as it's dark out and I just got out the bath.

What do you all reckon? Could it work, is it feasible, and what potential pitfalls? I reckon that it could be pretty cheap to do assuming you can get the levers cheaply.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

i was going to do a twin handbrake mod on the lada to give rear fiddles then realised i should make it drive first!
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
      OK, I was just soaking in the bath, mind wandering, and I got to thinking about Fiddler Brakes (stop smirking in the back!).

So, here's my thinking...

Somehow you add some additional cables to the hand-brake cables set up so that each cable pulls on one side of the system. Then using some fiddler levers mounted in the cab you can apply braking to one side, thus forcing the diff to apply power to the other side. I've not had a look at if it can be fitted as it's dark out and I just got out the bath.

What do you all reckon? Could it work, is it feasible, and what potential pitfalls? I reckon that it could be pretty cheap to do assuming you can get the levers cheaply.

http://www.milneroffroad.com/fiddle.htm

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        Yeah, I spotted them, but they seem to be for operating the hydraulic side of the brakes. I'm thinking of tapping into the mechanical side of the handbrake mechanism.
        Paul </Slugsie>
        Immortal.so far!

Comment

Ah, sorry, didn't read the bit about cables.
          What you need is one of those secondary steering wheels that fit behind the existing one, like disabled drivers use for throttle and brakes using their fingers.

Comment

i'd do a rear disk conversion and then fit a hydraulic one...

it'd be $$$$ with a cable on the std drums.
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
            X