Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4TD power upgrades???

Greetings,

We have three 1992 2.4 TD Surfs that we use out in the provinces of Afghanistan. We love the Surfs although the 2.4 TD is way underpowered for are needs. We would appreciate any leads and suggestions as to upgrade the power from the 2.4TD. We plan on dropping one gear size on the differentials but know nothing about getting more power from the engines. Anybody that has done engine modifications or know any products for this engine please let us know.

In 4wd no complaints but in 2wd they need more low end torque and acceleration, this is are main concern and complaint.

Cheers,

Robbie Haney
    Kabul Rent-A-Car
    Kabul, Afghanistan
    kabulrentacar@yahoo.com

intercooler
    bigger freeflowing exhaust
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Hi Robbie, Welcome!!, I'm certainly no expert and i aggree the 2.4 is underpowered, i got one, Apart from a good blast through with Redex and
      Wyyns injector cleaner i've done nothing else, I believe its possible to do a few small mods that improve it a little like putting 1 or 2mm washers behind
      the dump gate on the turbo? and the cable tie (ball bearing) mod, Im sure others will give you more better advise and have a good search on here,
      Good luck!! and keep yer head down out there
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

First go here http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/ and look at the tech site under performance, i removed the restrictive orig air inlet by disconnecting the rubber elbow onto the air box and turning it round,it gets air from the engine bay but its better than getting too little,a k+n filter will work but is noisy.
        Do the EGR mod and put some washers behind the wastegate i started with 2mm now up to 4mm if you put too many in the red engine check light will come on then stop and remove a washer till its ok.
        A intercooler is a very good idea a lot of people fit top mounts but can suffer with heat soak when stationary personally i`d fit a front mount and up boost to compensate for the extra tubes.
        a bobbox would be ok but rember on a diesel more fuel means more smoke too much smoke= too much heat the opposite of a 4 or 2 stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by ssray
          First go here http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/ and look at the tech site under performance, i removed the restrictive orig air inlet by disconnecting the rubber elbow onto the air box and turning it round,it gets air from the engine bay but its better than getting too little,a k+n filter will work but is noisy.
          Do the EGR mod and put some washers behind the wastegate i started with 2mm now up to 4mm if you put too many in the red engine check light will come on then stop and remove a washer till its ok.
          A intercooler is a very good idea a lot of people fit top mounts but can suffer with heat soak when stationary personally i`d fit a front mount and up boost to compensate for the extra tubes.
          a bobbox would be ok but rember on a diesel more fuel means more smoke too much smoke= too much heat the opposite of a 4 or 2 stroke.
          do you need an intercooler when your stationary?

ive turned my air intake around and its much better! sounds better too
          Tim

Comment

i forgot http://transportation.hackaday.com/e...4000393047637/
            water injection if you have too much smoke you hav high egt`s(exhaust gas temp) water/methanol/alchol injection will help.
            The reasno for mixing water with methanol is that water absorbs a lot of heat but it dose it quite slowly but put 50% methanol which absorbs less heat but faster so helping the water.
            big zorst sounds good though

Comment

Might be worth contacting this guy http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/index.html
              Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Robbie2618

Thanks guys for the tips, we did contact Bob and he suggested the BOBBOX, does anyone have any personnel knowledge of this product?

We have one vehicle in our shop now so we will tinker with the suggestions and see what happens. Are biggest complaint is that from a dead stop when you accelerate it has no power and takes a few seconds to start to roll.

If stopped at a speed bump none of the trucks can get over them from a stop. We thought this was normal since all three vehicles do the same but last week we drove another 92 Surf with the 2.4 and it was considerably quicker off the line. After thinking about it I wouldn’t think Toyota would produce a vehicle that was so sluggish off the line, after the first test drive who would buy such a thing? Once they are rolling they drive fine.

Is it possible that there are mechanical issues? These are our first diesel vehicles so we are learning how they work. I have read about diesel pump timing and such? The Afghan mechanics don’t use any special tools nor have I seen any one with a tech manual. Could it be they are out of specs? Because of bad fuel here we have had to replace several pumps or have parts replaced in the pumps, is it possible that the mechanics are not tuning the engines correctly because of lack of tools and knowledge? I have found they do allot of weird things to vehicles here because it was passed down the line to them “that is how it’s done” mentality.

They don’t use coolant, they manual down shift automatics at intersections, they disconnect the heater hoses during spring and the list goes on! Its mind bugling some of the things I have seen. They LOVE ski racks on there cars even though not a single Afghan even knows they are for skis!!! They just think they look good and there car is not complete without a ski rack!

Where is a good source of aftermarket performance parts? Such as the intercoolers that have been mentioned.

Thanks,

Robbie Haney
                Kabul Rent-A-Car
                Kabul, Afghanistan

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie2618
                  We have one vehicle in our shop now so we will tinker with the suggestions and see what happens. Are biggest complaint is that from a dead stop when you accelerate it has no power and takes a few seconds to start to roll.

If stopped at a speed bump none of the trucks can get over them from a stop. We thought this was normal since all three vehicles do the same but last week we drove another 92 Surf with the 2.4 and it was considerably quicker off the line. After thinking about it I wouldn’t think Toyota would produce a vehicle that was so sluggish off the line, after the first test drive who would buy such a thing? Once they are rolling they drive fine.
                  Now that is definitely not normal. You can easily wheelspin/slide
                  the backend of a 2.4 auto from a standing start. Not that I've ever
                  done that, of course. You definitely have some problem.
                  Would suggest you start by popping some brand of injector & fuel
                  system cleaner, i.e: Redex, into the fuel tank, and also try blanking
                  the EGR valve.

Comment

Robbie2618

Thanks for the input Matt,

We cant spin the tires on any of our trucks unless in the mud!! We have found a shop here with a South African manager so we will take one of the vehicles to them and see what they say. Im beginning to think its just that these vehicles have been Afghanized and the local mechanics just dont understand how they are suposed to work. By the way these vehicles have automatic transmissions.

Robbie Haney
                    Kabul Rent-A-Car
                    Kabul, Afghanistan
                    Last edited by Robbie2618; 9 June 2006, 09:34.

Comment

I defitently agree with that guy that said that you have something very wrong in all of your trucks. i have owned a Hilux Surf for a year and it had a 2.4lte engine with auto tranny intercooler and bobbox and i can assure you that if you put all the pedal to the floor from stand still the truck will definitly spin the tyres!!!!very very easily...you must have something very wrong like very worn injectors or bad timming.the truck is very quick from a standstill.if you have your steering turned all to one side comming out from a corner you cannot hit the pedal to gas dwon cause it will spin all the way out..

Comment

i can only spin mine while turning from a standing stop! but its definitely not "very easy" to spin up when you plant it.
                        Tim

Comment

Originally posted by KevinITR
                          I defitently agree with that guy that said that you have something very wrong in all of your trucks. i have owned a Hilux Surf for a year and it had a 2.4lte engine with auto tranny intercooler and bobbox and i can assure you that if you put all the pedal to the floor from stand still the truck will definitly spin the tyres!!!!very very easily...you must have something very wrong like very worn injectors or bad timming.the truck is very quick from a standstill.if you have your steering turned all to one side comming out from a corner you cannot hit the pedal to gas dwon cause it will spin all the way out..

Your truck maybe lighter on the rear axel as it's a pick-up.
                          Have you change the standard exhaust for a larger one?

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                            i can only spin mine while turning from a standing stop! but its definitely not "very easy" to spin up when you plant it.
                            Oh yes it is. Within the first week of getting the Surf, one of
                            the wife's comments was:

'I didn't think you could bl**dy well wheelspin an automatic'.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                              Oh yes it is. Within the first week of getting the Surf, one of
                              the wife's comments was:

'I didn't think you could bl**dy well wheelspin an automatic'.
                              nor did I, something to try when I get home
                              I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X