Turbo Boost Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Boost Question

I have put 3 x 1mm washers behind turbo waste gate and all is running fine but wondered what would be the safe maximum for this. Can I squeeze another 1 or 2 mm on to this or would this be pushing my luck and heading for top end damage. Any advice appreciated.

the engine should prevent you from overboosting anyway - best to keep an eye with a boost gauge though. ive been on 1mm for a year or so and 2mm for the last month.
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
      the engine should prevent you from overboosting anyway - best to keep an eye with a boost gauge though. ive been on 1mm for a year or so and 2mm for the last month.

I have got 5 1mm washers behind my waste gate and touch wood all is ok boost on my cheapo Tim boost gauge boosts to 0.8 bar and holds just below that i have seen some cummins diesel engines have boost gauges that top out at 60 psi. i think its on the 7.4 liter power stoke thats in the American Ford 2500 i want to run more boost in mine 25psi should do it?

Comment

if you put in to many you will get your red light on the dash coming on and a loss of power, pack in as many as you want then remove until the red light goes out, if you dont have a big bore `zorst now may be the time to think about it

Comment

As above, without a larger bore exhaust, especially the downpipe, you won't notice much of an increase in power. Loads of boost will be entering the engine but exhaust gasses won't be able to exit as fast.

Comment

Bushwacker, tell me more about playing with washers on my wastegate... sounds like a fun thing to try on a sunny afternoon such as this...
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

All explained here me old skipjack!

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/cheapboost.htm

Comment

Originally posted by christopoher murphy
                i want to run more boost in mine 25psi should do it?
                On a motor thats supposed to run at 5.5 to 7.3psi............

Good luck, my numbers on my website when you want the engine rebuilt.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I note that's a 2.4, as are all of the vehicles in this thread. What about the 3.0? Same process?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

hehehe!!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

The chaps at Fensport used to run a GT4 at something stoopid like 38psi! Mind you, the owner did say he carries a boot full of head gaskets round with him

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                        I note that's a 2.4, as are all of the vehicles in this thread. What about the 3.0? Same process?
                        The turbo is harder to reach, but the setup is the same so I guess so.

The 3.0 runs higher pressure, 7.4 to 9.7psi stock, FYI.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

from my memory.... or i could have dreamed it... the ECU cuts the power at 11psi

so without re-mapping it that's the max
                          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Yep, but that's the 2.4 max.

Comment

Damned electronics! You knew where you were with a screwdriver and a hammer!

Comment

Working...
                              X