No announcement yet.

2nd Gen Aux Fuel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ortlieb make some heavy duty waterbags and waterproof bags for canoeists and such. they do a shower adapter for the carriers, and as they are black all you do is hang em up in the sunshine for a bit, and they get hot.
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I bought a shower unit off ebay for my dad last year, it plugs into the ciggy socket and you put the pump into the bucket and away you go, was thinking of doing that and then putting a heat exchanger into the engine bay was an option with that, but as a first pass I think the wee thing I got off ebay was really good.
      ebay link

Comment

This was the water purifier that I was talking about, can't find the website... but here is a link.

http://www.generalecology.com/marinesystem.htm

Water has to be pumped through it... but not a major issue.

This one looks good. "Pres-Sure"
        http://www.generalecology.com/sciencegovtapp.htm

Comment

Some photo's of said tank...

Some text to go with shortly...

Firstly, a very large thanks to TonyN and his garage services... firstly, helping with blown CV boots at short notice, and squeezing the tank in on the same day...

Secondly, thanks to Out of Town 4wd for some close (a few typo's) to fantastic instructions for installing the tank, great fitting kit, all the bits... And neither of us really knew what we were doing, and we still completed it in just over 3 hours. Great kit, nice design of tank, almost disappears... fits right up in there as you can see from the 'after' pictures. Unless you crawl under there, you can't see it...

Just hurts when it comes to filling it up... from bone dry... 125 litres.... ouch.
          Attached Files

Comment

Who noticed the rather nice split in the exhaust in image 33, we nearly didn't...

Blasted Money pit, anyone know of anyone that can do a nice and cheap custom stainless exhaust... 3" down from the turbo, 2 1/2" straight through from the flexi pipe...?

Comment

That looks really good, I would love a bigger tank like that but don't have enough spare £'s to justify it, is that pipe on the bottom of the fuel tank as vunerable as it looks though? It's probably just my bad driving but the guard on the bottom of my fuel tank is all bashed and that looks about the same place. Maybe it will need a guard or something, depending obviously on how much you abuse your surf?
              Darren

Comment

I was thinking the same...

Some angle iron welded open end down on the inside, either side of the filler should cure that one...

Don't forget that there is a drain plug in there with a substantial head on it that would catch anyway... This setup increases that protrusion about 1/4", not too bad.... but valid observation.
                Last edited by AndyLala; 12 August 2005, 17:45.

Comment

Edited Instructions...

TOYOTA 4-RUNNER

TA37S – 60 LITRE

SUITS ALL MODELS 1989 ON

• Remove panel covering filler and filler breather hoses.

• Remove lower steel bracket holding original tank filler and filler breather hoses together, discard bracket.

• Remove spare tyre.

• Remove two brackets locating top of spare tyre, discard brackets.

• Connect one hose supplied to each of the forward breather line tubes using spring clamps supplied. Position auxiliary tank under spare tyre winch. Pass winch chain through hole in tank, and raise tank using winch, ensuring that tank sits snugly in position and the two breather link hoses are passed over the top of the cross-member.

• Ensure that rear of tank is located midway between rear bumper bar brackets.

• Drill 3 mounting holes through chassis members, using mounting brackets on tank as guides.

• Fit and tighten mounting bolts.

• Run breather link hoses over chassis members and connect to rear breather link tubes.

• Determine a suitable position for FILLER X-PIECE, cut a section approximately 50mm long out of main filler hose. Fit FILLER X-PIECE and AUXILIARY TANK FILLER HOSE.

• Disconnect original filler breather hose from filler neck in wheel arch. Extend hose using tube joiner and FILLER BREATHER HOSE supplied. Connect to FILLER BREATHER outlet on the auxiliary tank.

• Fit one end of the FILLER BREATHER HOSE to FILLER BREATHER outlet on auxiliary tank, and the other end of the filler breather pipe in the wheel arch.

• Remove original breather hose from SYSTEM BREATHER pipe and discard (we reused this as it has a one way filter on it). Fit new SYSTEM BREATHER HOSE from breather pipe to outlet on Auxiliary tank.

• Fit HEADER BREATHER HOSE from header on original tank to outlet on FILLER X-PIECE.

• Remove the guard from under the original tank.

• Remove the drain plug and washer; these are not re-used.

• Drain all fuel from tank if desired.

• Fit FUEL TRANSFER HOSE between auxiliary tank and main tank using worm drive hose clamps and special fittings in main tank, ensuring a constant downhill slope as much as possible.

• Refit tank guard using the spacers and M8 x 35mm bolts at the rear.

• Replace spare tyre.

• Replace cover over filler neck and hoses.

• We suggest that the tank be filled with a test load of fuel, test drive vehicle and inspect all fittings for leaks.

Comment

Update....

500K and the fuel guage needle has started moving...

Comment

Update:

Been a little too generous on the loud pedal, and arrived at the orange light a little earlier than expected. (avg 21.81 mpg)

885KM on a full fill... and £110 to fill it back up again, ouch.

Driving sensibly, should get 1000km out of it...

Sep 05, 933km on 113.3 Ltrs... 23.22 mpg... not too bad.
                      Last edited by AndyLala; 1 September 2005, 20:09.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                        Update:

Been a little too generous on the loud pedal, and arrived at the orange light a little earlier than expected. (avg 21.81 mpg)

885KM on a full fill... and £110 to fill it back up again, ouch.

Driving sensibly, should get 1000km out of it...
                        Ouch, but no more expensive than usual... it just hurts more when you run out.
                        550 ish miles, not bad
                        Tim
                        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

I've installed a 135ltr Long Ranger sub fuel tank to my 2nd gen Surf. Heres a link to my how to that might be of use.

http://au.geocities.com/maverick_asr...k/sub_tank.htm
                          Pete. R.
                          93 SSRG
                          1KZ-TE
                          Canberra
                          Australia
                          [IMG]http://au.geocities.com/maverick_asraam/pictures_files/100_3790.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

yes its an old thread, but just looking for same fuel tank they asked me £1500 are they nuts?
                            wish prices were same as then!
                            the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

You could use another Surf tank mounted in a frame under the floor with an electric lift pump to transfer the fuel into the original tank.
                              Then extend the filler tube to exit through the bumper.

Comment

mm! i should get some measurements, but i would like a Y filler like the long ranger, i guess its all about chop and weld to fit nice and tidy, and well protected when offroading
                                the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Working...
                                X