2nd Gen Aux Fuel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Gen Aux Fuel Tank

For those of you that might be interested.

TA37S 60Litre Aux Fuel Tank...

TonyN, Finally got it in my grubby hands...
    Attached Files

Originally posted by AndyLala

Cool, about time they got it to you!
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Looks good. Dare I ask £££££££££££?????????
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Did some quotes on the variants direct from Aus from "out of town 4wd"... and they came out at £670.00 cheapest including the duty and shipping and VAT and all the rest of the made up stuff...

Eddie @ Frog's Island said £550.00...
        And here it is...

Yes Tony, about time. Apparently 4 weeks after ordering it, they hadn't even made it. Hopefully, it wasn't a rush job, but they ended up air-freighting it over. GKN are the UK dsitributors and they sat on it for almost two weeks.

Too excited about my new toy... actually read the receipt... actually £523.00 so feel even better about it. Something about the exchange rate fluctuations..
        Its even got a 'Long Ranger' sticker in the fitting kit, how sweet!
        Last edited by AndyLala; 25 July 2005, 08:02.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala

where does the tank fit? and does it fill with the main filler or its own filler?

Comment

Originally posted by caseyj
            where does the tank fit? and does it fill with the main filler or its own filler?
            Cool! Looks heavy duty. You must be planning a big trip Andy, are ya?
            Take tons of measurements of it and maybe someone can start making them up!
            Derek :
            1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
            [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Is it steel or aluminium?
              guess it goes where your spare tyre goes, looks amazing shame about the price I could do with one, and it would be great if it was 80ltr as my wee baby is very thirsty!!!!
              but the bill at the petrol station is really going to hurt, your tank would cost me a total of 110 quid

Comment

Fits above the underslung spare.

Fills through the original filler split with a 'y' piece.

No idea what it is made off, but it feels like aluminium... I'll look for a magnet.
                Last edited by AndyLala; 20 April 2006, 18:22.

Comment

Originally posted by truckarms
                  but the bill at the petrol station is really going to hurt, your tank would cost me a total of 110 quid
                  County yourself lucky, try filling it up with diesel... Not looking forward to that. Will save myself a few more minutes in bed instead of having to fill up so often...

115 ltrs at 91p a litre (best price round me). £104.65...

Comment

These guys made chunky monkey a fuel tank for his golf (so he could run it on chip fat) it was aluminium and looked really good, I woulder how much they would charge to copy yours?
                    http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/default.php
                    Hmmm its really interesting I want one but not at that price.
                    Is there any reason why you kept the hole in the middle for your spare as I guess you will not be putting the spare on there?
                    Also is the shape tapered so that you get more room at the rear?
                    Cheers

Comment

The spare is supposed to fit below, and only 40mm lower than normal.
                      Angle of the dangle is to fit in with the departure angle.

The hole in the middle is a standard design for Long Ranger. They do a 130litre one as well, but that means moving the spare onto the rear... (and no hole in the middle)

http://www.oot4wd.com.au/AuxiliaryTanks.html
                      Search for 4-runner

I thought that was too much work, and didn't want to put that much weight behind the rear axle... (60litre was more than enough).
                      Last edited by AndyLala; 28 July 2005, 21:22.

Comment

Cheers AndyLala,
                        it all looks very smart, sorry for all the questions but I am very interested, I always wanted to do that and if I ever plan on driving the car home (kenya) then I will need an extra tank.
                        The weight issue is an interesting one, because if you assume 100 ltr is 100kg then its only like adding a big person to your car weight, I guess you have uprated the shocks, springs and bushes for the extra weight? and what I am getting to is once its installed please tell us what the drive is like.
                        One last question, are you going to hook the tank up so that it fills your current tank, i.e. you can run the second tank completely dry or are you going to just flick a switch and drive on the second tank? If so wont you end up with 2 tanks that you will always leave a couple of ltrs in?
                        Thank you very much.
                        Chris

Comment

Indeed the weight issue is an interesting one. Placing approx. 60 - 80Kg directly behind the rear axle would make things very interesting (100 - 130Kg even more so). I wanted to get an extended main tank (between the axles) as that would offer the best weight distribution, but unfortunately no one makes one, or a custom one would have been too expensive (all the big firms wanted to charge me for making their pattern!). Saddle tanks were another option, under the sills, but not enough room there to make it relatively safe. Behind the rear, above the spare was the only option left. Main reason for going with a branded product was that it is a major safety issue, and wanted something that had at least been tested. I do the same thing with brakes on my truck.

Permanently fitting locking jerry can holders to the rack would stop me getting into any multi storey car park anywhere near where I live. Although that may not be a bad thing... And is still under consideration. Done a fair bit of touring in Spain, and would like to do some more, still have a lot of family and friends there. And North Africa seems to have been calling for some time, serves me right reading Chris Scott's Sahara Overland...

Standard fill option for this particular tank (TA37S) is that it fills through the drain plug on the main tank, and its a gravity feed. Only problem with that is that it will allow fuel to move between the tanks in both directions. The 130Ltr tanks interface with the main guage and/or pump from the aux tank to the main tank. (nicer option, but a lot more weight)

Next item to consider is a water tank, now where can I fit that in? or an overland trailer...? Hmmm.
                          Last edited by AndyLala; 29 July 2005, 09:20.

Comment

Yeah I have thought about the water tank also, I think that it will need a pump, as i cant find a nice solution without one, well sort of but I will come back to that later.
                            I was thinking of 2 options, the first is a bit tricky, I have a large gap just infront of the rear axle (I think the exhaust sits over the area) but I was going to put my leisure battery there, but if you did not put the battery there you could fit a tank, the only problem i have with this is how to fill it and how to keep it cool with the exhaust.
                            Option 2 which is my prefered choice is to cut a hole (calm down tony) into the rear seat floor (opposite where the jack sits, or actually where the jack sits as I am going to have a hilift jack) and place a tank in/along there. you would still need some pump but you can fill it by just lifting the rear seats.
                            The 3rd option which I actually saw for sale either on the forum or on ebay was to place a container into one/both of the cubby holes in the boot, they would not be very big, at a guess 5/8ltr each so not much use for more than a day or 2 but depends on how long you need it for.

Comment

I have been thinking of a rack mounted option or even directly behind the rear seat, that angled gap which is not good for much else. Chris Scott used a flexible bag which sits on the rear seating area floor space of about 60 litres (something about www.mattsavage.com doing it). The other option is a sill tank on both sides, which I may explore further.

If you are thinking about a shower unit, you really need it above the shower head, or another electrical item, pump, to worry about (carry spares for).
                              Saw a nice heat transfer item to use the engine coolant to transfer its heat to the water for a shower. A little extravagant... but... The other thing is a permamently mounted water purification unit... had a link and lost it, will search again.

Comment

Working...
                              X