Snorkel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snorkel

Managed to get my snorkel installed last weekend. Big thanks to Roger for a loan of his hole saw. What a pita it is to install, especially having to grind away a section of the inner fender to fit the pipe supports. Managed to slice my fingers to bits forgetting that when you cut a hole in bodywork, its sharp. The little bit of tube that goes form the air box to the snorkel is the wrong shape and had to be cut. Gonna replace it with a different one sometime, but it will do. The little screws and plastic clips they supply for fixing to the a-pillar are useless too, so i bolted it through by cutting a hole in the inside of the a-pillar which was again quite awkward but at least i know it wont some off now. Anyway, my pics are at home and i'm in work, so i'll post some later.
    Cheers
    Del
    Derek :
    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Del, will the mods never end ????

We certainly hope not, keep em comming & pictures too!!

Go Delboy!
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Delboy,

well done. Look forward to the pictures. Agreed it is a complete pain... but you do get a little boost in torque on the 2.4's as a result...

andyL

Comment

Cheers Mo! Will definitely get pics up later.

Andy. There is a remarkable improvement in torque. I hired a car transporter trailer which weighed about 1.5 ton on its own and i could barely stay in 4th with it. When i was returning it post snorkel installation, i stayed in 5th, no problem. Way better than any K&N filter. That reminds me. I must post the reason why i had a transporter trailer.
        Derek :
        1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
        [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

You haven't joined the Irish Landcruiser BJ40 club have you???

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
            You haven't joined the Irish Landcruiser BJ40 club have you???
            Dont know what you're talking about Andy!

Anyway heres a pic of the snorkel!
            Attached Files
            Derek :
            1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
              Delboy,

well done. Look forward to the pictures. Agreed it is a complete pain... but you do get a little boost in torque on the 2.4's as a result...

andyL

how does this mod give more torque can some1 explain??????
              CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Originally posted by slim
                It's like Tunes - it helps you breathe more easily
                Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
                  It's like Tunes - it helps you breathe more easily
                  He He! tuuuuunnnnnnnnnes em!
                  Derek :
                  1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
                    Dont know what you're talking about Andy!

Anyway heres a pic of the snorkel!
                    You are going to end up with your own LC club at this rate, wish I had the space that you have got, I'd buy the two Pickups that they've got for sale at Frogs Island, think the neighbours would complain, already got the LC and the Surf taking up space, plus my wife's Merc and my Daughters Fiesta.

Oh well, have to buy a farm I think.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                      You are going to end up with your own LC club at this rate, wish I had the space that you have got, I'd buy the two Pickups that they've got for sale at Frogs Island, think the neighbours would complain, already got the LC and the Surf taking up space, plus my wife's Merc and my Daughters Fiesta.

Oh well, have to buy a farm I think.

Cheers
                      Its great having so much space alright. Have about an acre, but most of it is grass. Trouble is, my whole drive is loose hardcore, which isnt very condusive to car maintenance. So have to get around to clearing the area just infront of the fence (about 10m x 4m) and concrete it. More money.
                      Just as well i dont go out drinking................much!
                      Derek :
                      1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by slim
                        Its all about induction length... (ooo err?) Upto a point the longer the induction is the more torque it develops. Most things on production cars are there because of cost of noise pollution.

So your GTI crowd shorten the induction pipes to louden them up... (K&N, etc...)

The drag racing (import) crowd in the US tend to lengthen the induction to increase torque (AEM cold air intakes...)

Not sure of the science behind it, but 'seat of the pants' science seems to indicate that the 2.4 seems a lot more grunty...

AndyL

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                          Its all about induction length... (ooo err?) Upto a point the longer the induction is the more torque it develops. Most things on production cars are there because of cost of noise pollution.

So your GTI crowd shorten the induction pipes to louden them up... (K&N, etc...)

The drag racing (import) crowd in the US tend to lengthen the induction to increase torque (AEM cold air intakes...)

Not sure of the science behind it, but 'seat of the pants' science seems to indicate that the 2.4 seems a lot more grunty...

AndyL

so the longer the better!!!!!

for some reason my wife laughed when i wrote that!!! whats that all about!!!
                          CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

There used to be some stuff on the AEM site about it.

Something along the lines of reducing the circuference of the induction pipe as you approach the throttle body to increase the air speed...?

Comment

Yeah - its called the venturi effect - a limited restriction in the pipe will accelerate the flow through the gap - potentially resulting in a higher pressure intake to the engine....

Comment

Working...
                              X