2nd fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd fuel tank

I have an SSX -Limited KZN130 and under the rear load area where the spare wheel is normally suspended on some other models I would like to fit an extra fuel tank to maybe double the fuel capacity of my Surf. So I have a number of questions:

1. Has anyone tried fitting a 2nd fuel tank to a Surf if so how big and what about gauges or can I use the existing fuel gauage for both
    2. When can I find a tank or should I just get one from the scrap yard
    3. Any issues with it interfering with the exhaust
    4. Any other advice would be appreciated
    Last edited by mmmsd; 6 May 2005, 14:20.
    mmmsd
    [email]mutsaushe@gmail.com[/email]

Andy LaLa has been looking into this for a while, we've been talking about it for a while.

If you join the tanks together, your guage will be OK, as both tanks will empty at the same time, if you want to run them independant, you'll have to have a seperate guage for each, and filling points.

The exhaust is off to one side, as long as its not to close it'll be OK, or use a heat shield.

Have a seach on Google for some Austrailan 4x4 sites, they are the masters of long distance wheelin'
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Have a look at http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/body.htm There's three different solutions to the problem. Also have a look at the Aussie forum http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/ and do a search. There's a discussion going on about this at the moment.
      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

scorpion racing make extra fuel tanks so try them, they normally do landy (boooooooo) stuff but they should help.
        Also talk to chunky monkey, he put a chip fat tank into his old golf estate spare wheel hole (which is inside the car). So guy made him an aluminium tank with all the bits and pieces in it for not a bad price (cant remember but sure it was about 100 quid)

Comment

You could also have a word with Frog's Island 4x4, sure they would be able to source one for the spare wheel area, they have prepared a few Surfs as well as Landcruisers and Landrovers for long distance travel.

Cheers

Comment

The one you are looking for is a Longranger TA37S its about 65 litres and sits between the spare wheel and frame... It gravity feeds into the drain plug on the original tank. Frog island have it for about £445.00 (approx) and that might be plus VAT. Currently trying to find out what that includes, ie. fitting kit... If you want them to fit it, it'll work out about £1k all in... Longranger also do a bigger original tank at about 95 litres that extends over the drive shaft... Only way you can get that one is to import it yourself from Aus. and that is about £780.00 give or take with all the duties...

You will need to address the rear coils if you are going to sling any more fuel behind the rear axle... (thats one of the reasons I have fitted the airbags...) 65 Litres and tank is about the weight of a generous adult and sitting almost on the tail gate...

andyL

Comment

Possible Tank

Those frog island tanks are a bit rich for my blood, but then I saw this site http://www.tek-tanks.com. They do custom marine tanks out of Poly whatstyamcallit, (plastic) and 53litre tank empty equal under 6kgs. On the issue of heat I have been told with heat sheielding should be alright. Will keep the thread posted
              mmmsd
              [email]mutsaushe@gmail.com[/email]

Comment

£1K did make me swallow hard too... but in the end, because of the exchange rate, it worked out closer £550.00 which was still a bit steep, but cheaper than some of the other sites mentioned.

Fitting was remarkably easy... for me anyway... TonyN did it... and was suitably impressed, all the bits you need apart from tools came in the kit. I took loads of pictures, and we drank loads of coffee... and it still took less time than they (LongRanger) estimated. Fit is awesome, spare is about 40mm lower than normal... and you can't see the tank... The install manual is up here somewhere...

Comment

I can't afford to fill one tank let alone two!!!
                  I like Orientals

Comment

Down here in the land of wonder it's not unusual to travel over 500km (300 miles) between fuel stops. A lot of the time that would be in desert and sand country where your usual fuel economy can be halved. For this reason Aussies fit long range sub tanks to most 4WD vehicles.

I installed the 135ltr (30 gallon (UK)) sub tank in the link above. I now have a total range of some 1400km or 870 miles.

The real advantage the Surf/Hilux has over it's bigger cousins is the fact that it is light and nimble. If you don't need the range, don't weigh the car down with long range tanks or any other heavy/unnessesary equipment. If it were an easy job I would install the long range tank only when I need it, 2-3 times a year and leave it out for all the local 4WD trips I do (under 400km (250 miles)).

Yes it is expensive to put 200ltrs (44 gallons (UK)) into the truck, but a lot cheaper to fill it here in OZ than there in the UK.

PS. It would still take me three full tanks, 600ltrs (142 gallons (UK)), to drive from one side of Austalia to the other, about 4200km or 2600 miles.
                    Last edited by maverick_sr71; 16 January 2006, 10:05.
                    Pete. R.
                    93 SSRG
                    1KZ-TE
                    Canberra
                    Australia
                    [IMG]http://au.geocities.com/maverick_asraam/pictures_files/100_3790.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

piece of cake

Originally posted by mmmsd
                      I have an SSX -Limited KZN130 and under the rear load area where the spare wheel is normally suspended on some other models I would like to fit an extra fuel tank to maybe double the fuel capacity of my Surf. So I have a number of questions:

1. Has anyone tried fitting a 2nd fuel tank to a Surf if so how big and what about gauges or can I use the existing fuel gauage for both
                      2. When can I find a tank or should I just get one from the s**** yard
                      3. Any issues with it interfering with the exhaust
                      4. Any other advice would be appreciated

i just got a shogun diesel tank from the breakers, sealed the guage hole,
                      welded the filler kneck holes, had some hose made with 2 banjo unions that corresponded with the drain plug threads, put a tap half way down it (so's you can isolate either tank) hung it on 4 threaded rods from inside the boot floor, bingo! leave your filler cap slightly loose and the 2 tanks level out eventually. going to France with a caravan so I need to modify it slightly will get some photos posted up for you. tank cost £10 pipe cost £40 cheap enough I thought.

Comment

Working...
                      X