Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise control mod???

Hi folks - here's one for yo'al.
    I have a '96 (2nd gen) sssr-g 3.0 td with cruise control.
    I'd like to use it but it will not "set" or "accelerate" above 70mph. Trundling along at 70mph (on a private motorway of course ) gets a tad boring not to mention sleep inducing.
    Now I suppose this is a set limit so that Toyota could not be held responsible for inciting speeding etc etc. but can this limit be raised some how.
    Is there a simple frig to do this, and has anyone done it before.
    Any Ideas
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

possibly linked into the speed warning bell on some models??...
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I thought that ringing in my ears at high speed was my f*@ked exhaust!!!
      Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes
        Hi folks - here's one for yo'al.
        I have a '96 (2nd gen) sssr-g 3.0 td with cruise control.
        I'd like to use it but it will not "set" or "accelerate" above 70mph. Trundling along at 70mph (on a private motorway of course ) gets a tad boring not to mention sleep inducing.
        Now I suppose this is a set limit so that Toyota could not be held responsible for inciting speeding etc etc. but can this limit be raised some how.
        Is there a simple frig to do this, and has anyone done it before.
        Any Ideas
        Some cruise controls in Japanese market vehicles are set to a pre-defined max speed (110 KPH I think which would fit 70 MPH). This is a bit like the 155 MPH set on most top line sports/exec cars coming out of Germany. I believe these presets are removable but you will need to go to a 'chipper' probably to get it done I suspect.
        Live for Today

Comment

Originally posted by Cumbrian
          Some cruise controls in Japanese market vehicles are set to a pre-defined max speed (110 KPH I think which would fit 70 MPH). This is a bit like the 155 MPH set on most top line sports/exec cars coming out of Germany. I believe these presets are removable but you will need to go to a 'chipper' probably to get it done I suspect.
          My Prelude had it set at 62mph (100kph), but could be gingerly stepped up to 70 , if you tried too fast the sod would just revert to 62 .

Trev
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Cruise control

Originally posted by UDTrev
            My Prelude had it set at 62mph (100kph), but could be gingerly stepped up to 70 , if you tried too fast the sod would just revert to 62 .

Trev
            Hi guys has anybody had cruise control fitted or DIY and if so how much?
            if green peace get there way. Long live surfs

Comment

Unfortunately Hippo doesn't have cruise

But with a steady foot she can cruise all day

Trev

ps the Prelude had cruise as standard
              Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

I fitted cruise: Cost about £250 but varies according to the type of control you use (dash or stalk) It has 2 memories which I set at 30mph and 40 mph (the 2 speed limits on the Island) It also has SET and RESUME, ACCELERATE and DECELERATE, TIP UP and TIP DOWN. Displays speed in MPH on a LCD on the stalk. I use it all the time and fitting is a real doddle on the Surf. I can post Photos and tips if anyone is interested. The Unit was supplied by Steve Jones at Howard-May. Top Quality kit. info@howard-may.co.uk
                PS it does not have an upper limit speed but I cant afford to go faster than 70mph. (fuel consumption)

Chris

Originally posted by david moore
                Hi guys has anybody had cruise control fitted or DIY and if so how much?
                if green peace get there way. Long live surfs
                [B][I]Cool domains [URL=http://zennames.com][COLOR

Comment

Originally posted by Bushman
                  I fitted cruise: Cost about £250 but varies according to the type of control you use (dash or stalk) It has 2 memories which I set at 30mph and 40 mph (the 2 speed limits on the Island) It also has SET and RESUME, ACCELERATE and DECELERATE, TIP UP and TIP DOWN. Displays speed in MPH on a LCD on the stalk. I use it all the time and fitting is a real doddle on the Surf. I can post Photos and tips if anyone is interested. The Unit was supplied by Steve Jones at Howard-May. Top Quality kit. info@howard-may.co.uk
                  PS it does not have an upper limit speed but I cant afford to go faster than 70mph. (fuel consumption)

Chris
                  I would be interested in photos and tips please.

Jacqueline

Comment

Originally posted by jax

Jacqueline
                    I've got the same cruise installed on my 98 3rd gen with stalk mount. I'll take some pics & post them here. The Howard May site does have some photos which might help mean time.
                    Live for Today

Comment

Originally posted by Cumbrian
                      I've got the same cruise installed on my 98 3rd gen with stalk mount. I'll take some pics & post them here. The Howard May site does have some photos which might help mean time.

Great. Thanx

Jacqueline

Comment

Originally posted by jax

Jacqueline
                        Here are some photos I took when putting it in, unfortunately didnt take one of it completed, and I cant take one right now because all the panels are off as I am putting in a PC (sad I know).

Basically you need to connect the servo mechanically to the accelerator linkage. This is easy because provision is already there. (See pictures)

The rest is electrical, there is a mini computer which must be wired to the control unit (the stalk). The stalk needs to be mounted on the wheel cowling. I made a mistake and got the left hand model...it would have been easier and more convenient to get the right hand one. I mistook mine for the handbrake once in the dark and ripped it out! I have moved it since.

The mini computer thingy must be wired to the servo unit, and to the brake switch (very inaccessable but very important) and to the speed pulse. The speed pulse is hard to find but I found it on the PCB behind the instrument panel, it is marked with a big "S". The colour code of the wiring I found didnt bear a lot of relationship to the Haynes manual which I have.

If you have a manual Surf then you must get the clutch kit. I didnt get this because I have an auto box.

There are testing utilities which you can use to check that the whole thing is working before you take it on the road. This is good because if you take it o the road in an unworking state you might kill yourself or another innocent road user.

When you take it on the road you can calibrate the speed readout with a GPS, you canadjust the sensitivity etc. Then you are in business.

Speed memories can be set dynamically as you go. You can set it and resume at any speed over 40kph. You can tip up or tip down the speed in 0.5mph increments. You can hold up to accelerate or down to decelerate.

It sounds complicated but is really very simple and should take a competent fitter about half an hour. I took me about 3 weeks.

Hope this helps
                        Chris
                        Attached Files

Comment

That is a good description on how to do it. But don't know if I'm up to the job myself - have to find a competent man!

Jacqueline

Comment

isn't that a bit like military intelligence
                            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                              isn't that a bit like military intelligence
                              An oxymoron you mean?

Comment

Working...
                              X