yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3rd Gen Daystar Lift kit fitted ...... finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by miketilley
    Hmmmm...interesting, I might have a search around and see if I can find measurements
    Assuming of course that you can get your hands on some aluminum stock at reasonable cost, rear spacers require the largest size at about 4" in diameter by whatever height you require.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
      Assuming of course that you can get your hands on some aluminum stock at reasonable cost, rear spacers require the largest size at about 4" in diameter by whatever height you require.
      We'll get TonyN on the case- he's got a lathe now! I could use rear spring spacers because the 2"+ lift springs I was sold aren't- they're more like 1 1/2" lift.....

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock@work
        We'll get TonyN on the case- he's got a lathe now! I could use rear spring spacers because the 2"+ lift springs I was sold aren't- they're more like 1 1/2" lift.....

Nevillef
        I can see Tony's business growing from strength to strength ...
        Maurice

Comment

when i was gonna make my body lift i was told aluminium would be no good cos it reacts with steel or sommat like that??!!...
          dmaned expensive at the tome too!!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I can get Aluminium up to about 8" in diameter relatively cheaply and get it cut to the right thickness, then all it needs is machining.

Aluminium can react with steel if water gets involved, you get an electrolytic reaction which corrodes the metal. But the sort of thickness's of aluminium that we're talking about it probably wouldn't be a problem. This is easily stopped by either painting the two surfaces or putting some other kind of insulator between the two.

Perhaps some kind of plastic would be suitable alternative...Hmmmm
            http://www.maninhat.myzen.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by miketilley
              I can get Aluminium up to about 8" in diameter relatively cheaply and get it cut to the right thickness, then all it needs is machining.

Aluminium can react with steel if water gets involved, you get an electrolytic reaction which corrodes the metal. But the sort of thickness's of aluminium that we're talking about it probably wouldn't be a problem. This is easily stopped by either painting the two surfaces or putting some other kind of insulator between the two.

Perhaps some kind of plastic would be suitable alternative...Hmmmm
              For body/chassis spacers UHMW plastics (eg Acetal or Delrin) is the preferred material as it won't corrode and isn't so hard (like steel) it'll punch up through the body bottom. Coil spring spacers are different as they have stand up to repeated battering from being between the springs and axle- so a substantial piece of aluminium is usual. I've seen plastic spring spacers for Jeep (a specificaly moulded item) but none yet for 4Runners.

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                For body/chassis spacers UHMW plastics (eg Acetal or Delrin) is the preferred material as it won't corrode and isn't so hard (like steel) it'll punch up through the body bottom. Coil spring spacers are different as they have stand up to repeated battering from being between the springs and axle- so a substantial piece of aluminium is usual. I've seen plastic spring spacers for Jeep (a specificaly moulded item) but none yet for 4Runners.

Nevillef
                'cept for the kit I just installed, they're made from polyurethane, at least I think that's what they're made of, plasticy, slightly pliable, shiny and come in a choice of colours, I've got the plain ol black ones.
                Maurice

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
                  'cept for the kit I just installed, they're made from polyurethane, at least I think that's what they're made of, plasticy, slightly pliable, shiny and come in a choice of colours, I've got the plain ol black ones.
                  Except Daystar! Here's what they say....

"Daystar has spent 15 years developing their "Durathane" Progressive Polyurethane Technology which has been used in every application from their Spring and Control Arm Bushings to Transmission, Motor Mounts and Body Lift Kits. In 1997 Daystar decided to take their Durathane Progressive Polyurethane Technology to the next level and engineer Polyurethane Suspension Coil Spacer Lifts, replacing the traditional Aluminum or Steel Spacers that have been used over the years. Most of your late model suspension lifts have converted from Leaf Springs and Torsion Bars to Coil Spring Suspension Systems and Coil Over Shocks. Daystar Products has risen to the need for this new type of Suspension Lift to cater to the new demands of Coil Sprung Vehicles. Why is Polyurethane Better? Polyurethane is an Elastomer, so it works just like a spring while giving you all of the strength and durability of metal but without destroying the Ride Quality. This is why Daystar has named their Suspension Systems "Comfort Ride". These lift kits not only lift the vehicle, but actually Improve the Handling Characteristics while preserving the Stock Factory ride quality. Daystar Products has become the innovator and leader in the Economy Lift Kit Industry and offers the largest selection of Comfort Ride Suspension Systems on the market today."

So you can buy moulded polyeurethane 4Runner coil spacers from Daystar. I would not be confident to machine coil spacers out of hard plastics yet without finding out more info.

They don't seem to make polyeurethane coil spacers for pre 1996 4Runners either. So the only choice here is still metal.

Nevillef

Comment

I've gotta agree, if I were machining my own I'd stick with an al alloy or similar too, as at least we know that will take the variable loads it will recieve, for body lifts the loads should be relativly static so a suitable plastic can be used.

BTW, Daystar do in fact list two sizes of poly lift block for the 2nd Gens here
                    Maurice

Comment

Working...
                    X