Rear brake discs on a 2nd gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brake discs on a 2nd gen

I've been wandering if it is possible to replace the rear drums with discs on a 2nd gen? The only thing I'm not 100% happy with on my Surf is the less than stellar braking performance. On more than a couple of occasions I've been seriously worried that I wasn't going to stop in time. I know that it's a 2tonne car, but that just seems to make it even dafter that it has rear drums.

So, is it possible, and would it be stupidly expensive? Or should I just drive a bit less like a maniac?
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

It is certainly possible but it's also going to be expensive. The real mutt's nuts is this set up:- http://www.frontrangeoffroadfab.com/floater.htm Also you might try a search on the Aussie forum http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum A couple of guys there have played with different set ups.
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

I think if you can get the rear axle off a 90 series Prado, it will fit and has rear brake disks. Think someone has odne that before.

Cheers

Comment

you sure your brakes are ok? never had a problem like that... the disks on the front are MASSIVE!!... 4 pot calipers... should have no trouble, (although with an auto ther is less engine braking)
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
          you sure your brakes are ok? never had a problem like that... the disks on the front are MASSIVE!!... 4 pot calipers... should have no trouble, (although with an auto ther is less engine braking)
          Actually, I'm not so sure. I know that I have managed to lock up the rears before now whilst emergency stopping. I also know that I can push the brake pedal down to the floor (takes a reasonably hard push to do). Maybe needs looking at.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
            Actually, I'm not so sure. I know that I have managed to lock up the rears before now whilst emergency stopping. I also know that I can push the brake pedal down to the floor (takes a reasonably hard push to do). Maybe needs looking at.
            If you can push the brake pedal to the floor then it definately wants looking at.
            Sounds very much like you have air in the system. Air will compress whilst brake fluid won't so if there is a lot of pedal travel and the pedal feels mushy then the brakes want bleeding. Brake fluid absorbs water so if yours has never been changed then the moisture in the system will de-grade the cylinders and seals causing stiction. There is a limit device on the rear brakes to limit the amount of pressure to the back to avoid rear wheel lock up.
            One of the things that impressed me about the Surf when I bought it was the brakes. The pedal is light to operate but will lock the wheels on dry tarmac without much pedal weight. From what you say your brakes are well below par.
            Last edited by Silversurfer; 7 March 2005, 18:43.
            Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

I never knew how bad the brakes were on my old surf until I had a service and got new discs and pads - loads better, and i was glad of it too becuase about 2 weeks after i had a near miss and without the improved brakes I would never have stopped in time.

My new surf has again got quite poor braking performance so one of the first things I will look into is seeing if I need any new bits along with a decent brake service/bleed etc.
              No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Working...
              X