Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E.g.r

hello me again
    has n e 1 tryd blanking off their E.G.R valve as on hossysite and can they tell me the benofits of it or the downsides of it if green peice get there way,LONG LIVE SURFS

I blocked mine off about eight months ago with no probs since.
    Just passed m.o.t. no probs.
    Engine seems to have a bit more oomph when warmed up.
    Downsides?..................No ne!

Comment

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve
      Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) systems were introduced in the early '70s to reduce an exhaust emission that was not being cleaned by the other smog controls. Oxides of nitrogen (NOx) are formed when temperatures in the combustion chamber get too hot. At 2500 degrees Fahrenheit or hotter, the nitrogen and oxygen in the combustion chamber can chemically combine to form nitrous oxides, which, when combined with hydrocarbons (HCs) and the presence of sunlight, produces an ugly haze in our skies known commonly as smog.

So basically it recirculates some of the exhaust gases back in to the block to reduce NOx. It says in doing this it reduces the operating temperature of the block, I have read many many articles on this topic. Some written by the Green/environment people who advocate you should never disconnect the EGR because of the detremental effects it has on your engine, of course they would, nothing to do with the environment of course.
      Some by Profs. of motor mechanics, who don't deny in disconnecting the valve it raises the NOx levels released to atmosphere (our MOT laws in England don't test for NOx). They also claim that lowering the operating temperature is not a bad thing except the recirculated gases cause hot spots and on cast heads thats not good. The recirculated gases are reintroduced into the block on one side, so cooling that area not the far side of the engine, one side hotter than the other.
      The other down side of the EGR is, in reintroducing the gases back in to the engine, this will place an even greater demand on engine oil performance through increased soot generation and acid levels. So you need to make sure regular oil changes are strictly adhered to.
      The EGR also comes with another downside slight loss of power and decreased MPG.
      The very early valves (like on the early surfs) were single diaphram valves that open on positve pressure (some open on negative pressure) these early valves entailed a mass of vacuum hoses within the engine bay. They were not that reliable, hoses can rot, split, the diaphram within the valve can perish, become perforated. All this leads to a non or poorly operational valve.
      This system had many problems. It would often open to much, which caused a hesitation on acceleration as massive amounts of recirculated exhaust hit the combustion chamber. The peak temperature NOx is produced at only occurs when the engine is under full load, not all the time so with older style valves it recirculated all the time.
      The newer valves are controlled by solonoids, so control the recirculation better only reintroducing the gases when the engine is under full load. So are more reliable don't effect performance so much or the MPG.
      I have disconnected my EGR, I personally noticed more low down torque on my surf and better MPG. Yes my head has cracked 1 year after I got the motor and 10 months after disconnecting the EGR.
      There are some who's heads have cracked and have never disconnected the EGR.
      After replacing my head I reconnected the EGR for three weeks. Its diconnected again, couldn't stand the smoke it throws out the exhaust, the less grunt on acceleration and the worse MPG.
      I hope this answers your question with an unbiased opinion, there are the greens who write articles on the EGR saying how great it is and mechanics who write articles saying the early valves were poor.
      Thats the info, you make up your own mind.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

i just blanked mine off this morning and noticed the difference immediately
        more power at the low end and absolutely no black smoke at all even when i first started it . obviously too early to tell on the fuel consumption front.

(k reg 2.4 td surf)

beauty

Comment

Originally posted by parn
          more power at the low end and absolutely no black smoke at all even when i first started it . obviously too early to tell on the fuel consumption front.

(k reg 2.4 td surf)

beauty
          where is my EGR valve? - '95 3.0td
          Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes
            where is my EGR valve? - '95 3.0td
            at the back, right hand side, its behind the throttle valve body. Looks like a UFO.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              at the back, right hand side, its behind the throttle valve body. Looks like a UFO.
              found my EGR (galvanised UFO type thing 2"dia??) it appears to have some kind of linkage actuator to the bottom, and a wee bent hose exiting left hand side. do i remove hose or just squash it shut with thumb screw.
              Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

(k reg 2.4 td surf)

beauty
                Hi Parn
                Have the same surf as you and thinking of doing the same thing.
                How easy is it to disconnect, whereabouts is it etc.?
                Greybeard
                Life is not a rehearsal!

Comment

Originally posted by greybeard
                  Hi Parn
                  Have the same surf as you and thinking of doing the same thing.
                  How easy is it to disconnect, whereabouts is it etc.?
                  Can anyone tell me how to blank the egr off? I've found it, but don't just want to take hoses off without knowing what I'm doing.

EDIT:Never mind - did a search and found it.
                  Last edited by RichardSeal; 22 March 2005, 14:53.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardSeal
                    Can anyone tell me how to blank the egr off? I've found it, but don't just want to take hoses off without knowing what I'm doing.

EDIT:Never mind - did a search and found it.

aye i found it doin the search thing this site rox it had photos and everything it was soooo easy
                    anyway since ive done it ive found fuel consumption is better too (i sssoooooo love this site)

Comment

aye i found it doin the search thing this site rox it had photos and everything it was soooo easy
                      anyway since ive done it ive found fuel consumption is better too (i sssoooooo love this site)
                      Help! Can't find it. Would you point me in the right direction?
                      Greybeard
                      Life is not a rehearsal!

Comment

Help! Can't find it. Would you point me in the right direction?
                        try this http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...&highlight=EGR

Comment

Originally posted by RichardSeal
                          Ta very much!
                          Greybeard
                          Life is not a rehearsal!

Comment

Ta very much!
                            Well... disconnected mine yesterday, can't really tell if there is more power yet and I'll monitor the MPG.

Comment

Another explanation and opinion...

http://www.misterfixit.com/egrvalve.htm

Note last paragraph (det is bad!)

It's really pretty simple - it can be open when it isn't supposed to be, or it can be closed when it is supposed to be open. Not rocket science, but it is science.

If it is open when it is not supposed to be open, at idle for instance, It will act like one monster vacuum leak and the engine will not idle or will idle really roughly.

If it doesn't open when it is supposed to open you will probably experience a symptom of "pinging" or "knocking" since the combustion chamber temperature will be higher than normal (one of the main causes of pinging in an engine).
                              Last edited by deggers; 6 April 2005, 16:44.

Comment

Working...
                              X