Advise please... Buying 4.88 R&P to run 35s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise please... Buying 4.88 R&P to run 35s

Hello... I currently building up my Surf and I am planning on running 35s... so I found a company in the US (ringpinion.com) who says they can supply me with everything I need. ie. Front & Rear 4.88 ring & pinion set with complete rebuild kit.

I have given them my axel code (G295) and have told them that I have an 8" ring diameter, 4 pionion LSD and IFS.

My concern is that I was told that the parts from the US won't work in the Surf... Is this true??

Is there any other info that I need to give these guys or anything else I need to ask about the kit before I buy? I really can't afford to end up with a kit that won't work.

Has anyone change their diff ratio and if so do you know of any issue that I should be aware of?

Thanks
    Justin

1993 Toyota Surf 3.0 TD ...
    Soon to have...
    4" Pro Comp stage 2 liftkit, 4 crawler 2" or 3" Body lift, American racing 15x12 running 35s, 4.88 running gears, Front mount intercooler, smt6 piggy back ecu

Who told you won't fit and why?

We've found all US 2nd 4Runner Locker kits are for 27 spline rear shaft, and that 30 spline rears are 3rd gen on.

The only trouble is our 89 and 94 2nd gen Surfs all have 30 spline rear shafts.

But this won't affect you, as your only changing ring gears, but things are different some times.

Deisel Surf diff housings are the same as US V6 and Turbo trucks, they have more reinforcing webs than US 2.4 petrol trucks, but apart from that it should be the same, your only changing the ring gear and pinion. The rear is 8" and IFS fronts are 7.5"

I think we're just gonna buy a locker and take a chance, if it don't fit Linda's truck, I'll toss it in the 4Runner (fingers crossed!!! )
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      Who told you won't fit and why?

We've found all US 2nd 4Runner Locker kits are for 27 spline rear shaft, and that 30 spline rears are 3rd gen on.

The only trouble is our 89 and 94 2nd gen Surfs all have 30 spline rear shafts.

But this won't affect you, as your only changing ring gears, but things are different some times.

Deisel Surf diff housings are the same as US V6 and Turbo trucks, they have more reinforcing webs than US 2.4 petrol trucks, but apart from that it should be the same, your only changing the ring gear and pinion. The rear is 8" and IFS fronts are 7.5"

I think we're just gonna buy a locker and take a chance, if it don't fit Linda's truck, I'll toss it in the 4Runner (fingers crossed!!! )
      Thanks TonyN

Everyone down here is an expert yet no one has actually done any of the work so I keep being told all sorts of stupid things.

Do you know if Yukon R&Ps are any good?? I got a pretty good price for a set of these from Performance Offraod Centre.

Let me know how you get through with the locker as I will probably be looking to put in some lockers in a few months.

Thanks Again
      Justin

Comment

Tonyn is totally correct i have a US 4Runner bought my dertroit locker w/ 4.88 from randy's ring and pinion running true 3 years later

Comment

Working...
        X