Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear diff ratios for big wheels

Hi,

Let me start by saying I came across this forum a few days ago and have already found it an invaluable source of information to help me with my project Surf. I live in Barbados in the Caribbean where the roads are small and congested and people drive like idiots. So I decided to sell my A3 in order to get something a little bigger to drive around... I have just bought a 1993 3.0l Surf.

My plan is to build a reliable safe daily driver / weekend off roader / show car out of my Surf. I have started by ordering a 4" Pro Comp Stage 2 lift kit, Steering stabilizer kit, a set of Bushwacker extended flares and a set of 15"x12" American Racing rims. I am also looking a 3" Body lift kit from 4 Crawler and a performance upgrade from Allisport.

My question finally (Sorry for the long post):

I am looking to run either 33" or 35" tires (depending on if I do the body lift). This is going to probably have a serious affect on performance with my current diff ratio. What sort of rear diff ratio should I be looking for if I am running 33s or 35s?

FYI: Current diff ratio I believe is 6.78. This is based on A343F where A= 138mm R&P size, 34= 6.78 R&P ratio and 3=2pinion LSD

I cant answer this one myself, but possibly try the american website..I know alot of alterations have been mentioned to brig the ratios down

http://www.yotatech.com/index.php?

Or follow this link http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/portal/portal.htm#
    and after scolling down you will see a Tyre and Gear Calculator!!

Regain Performance:
    New Tyre Diameter (inches) / Original Tyre Diameter (inches) * Original Axle Ratio = Required Axle Ratio
    Last edited by Gizmo; 23 January 2005, 11:56.
    Gaz

Comment

31 or 33 need 4.88 35 up 5.29 performance products.com

you could do it but clutch and gas mileage down the drain also consider aggressiveness of your tire 33 bfg is close to a 31 swamper im running 33 swampers with 4.88 still crawl and have top end highway

Comment

Originally posted by j.inniss

FYI: Current diff ratio I believe is 6.78. This is based on A343F where A= 138mm R&P size, 34= 6.78 R&P ratio and 3=2pinion LSD
        A343F is your transmission code, you want the code next to it for the diffs. It should start with a G---.

We have 33's on our 3.0, while there is a difference in performance, its not that bad in my opinion.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I run on 33's and can't say I noticed much difference either- my Surf is still slow off the line!
          Last edited by laser_jock99; 22 April 2006, 18:06. Reason: I can't spell for tofee

Comment

Working...
          X