Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolent change help please

Hi people,
    Need some help please on how to go about a coolent change on a 3.0L KZN130, 94 model.
    Just general help please ie do i need to put in a new thermostat where is the thermostat and where is the best place to drain from, take off bottom hose, or is there a drain tap? also how do i do a coolant flush, and what type of anti freeze do i use.
    Sorry to sound so stupid but its my first surf dont want to damage it
    Thanks for your help, Gary

Not something I`ve done yet myself, but if you type COOLANT in the search facility on this site there`s some good threads on flushing.......

Good luck

Comment

What type of antifreeze????

I would use normal buy in local factors antifreeze. You might hear lots about only putting in Toyota Red antifreeze in Toyotas just like you are told to put Volkswagen G12 into Volkswagens. Its all bo!!ox in my humble. Theres always gonna be someone to sell you a better product which they will convince you that you need if they can sense you want to be convinced.

I recently bought a 25 litre drum of Castol antifreeze for €55 (£37). I mixed it 1:3 with tap water. It should last me for years.

Its funny that having flogged G11 as the one and only for years, VW had cause to change to G12 (which turned to jelly when mixed with G11 )

I was told by a main dealer honest person that while it may be slightly thicker in consistency and therefore moves slower around the engine its all coolant.

Comment

thanks for the help guys

Comment

I think andy posted this a while back, so I took the liberty of cutting and pasting

Switch the heaters on (front and rear if you have them).

The drain tap is at the bottom of the nearside (Passenger side) on the radiator. Undo this and remove the radiator cap.

Allow to drain and then remove the top hose at the radiator end.

With the drain tap still undone put a hose into the top hose pointing towards the engine and turn it on.

Leave the hose to flush through the engine for about 1/2 hour. To do a really good job, get some gaffer tape and tape a seal around the hose and the top hose.

Turn off the hose and remove.

Tighten the drain tap.

refit the top hose.

Fill the system SLOWLY through the radiator cap with premixed coolant (30% coolant, 50% water - use distilled water or soft water if you can).

When the system seem to be full, start the engine with the radiator cap still off and allow it to run for about 15 minutes occasionally squeezing the top hose, heater hoses to help any air bubbles escape.

Top up if required with the coolant mix.

Once all this is done, replace the radiator cap and take for a drive round the block.

While the system is drained down it would be good to change the thermostat (under the rad cap - 3 bolts) and the radiator cap (you need a 1.1 bar one).

I use Bluecol antifreeze although I have heard good things about Halfords professional coolant.

You could also add some DEI Radiator relief (Available from Agriemach or Frosts) or some Redline water wetter as both improve the cooling properties of the water / antifreeze mix.

alternatively......

use the bottom hose to drain it and flush it through, take the hose off below the cap on the thermostat housing and flush all the engine and heater out with a hose till it runs nice and clear

Comment

"Fill the system SLOWLY through the radiator cap with premixed coolant (30% coolant, 50% water - use distilled water or soft water if you can)."

If its pre-mixed, why add water?

What do you use for the remaining 20%???????

No disrespect, it just dont add up!
            Lifes for smileing at! when ya Surf's not broke!

Comment

Soz fieldsy, not your fault!

Just found Lucky's thread! ...still wrong

Saving grace is another thread were he got it right!

Lucky Quote "this should be premixed 30% coolant to 70% water and then put into the system slowly to make sure that airlocks don't form"

Premix may not be strong enough (may be only 10%)

Usual (GB) is 1/3 (1:2) which equates to 30%/70%

Those above the border might go for 50%/50%
              Lifes for smileing at! when ya Surf's not broke!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberSurf
                Soz fieldsy, not your fault!

Just found Lucky's thread! ...still wrong

Saving grace is another thread were he got it right!

Lucky Quote "this should be premixed 30% coolant to 70% water and then put into the system slowly to make sure that airlocks don't form"

Premix may not be strong enough (may be only 10%)

Usual (GB) is 1/3 (1:2) which equates to 30%/70%

Those above the border might go for 50%/50%
                When I said premixed, i meant premix the coolant concentrate with water before putting it in - 70% water (preferably distilled or purified water) and 30% antifreeze. That way it mixes better and you make sure you have the correct ratio no matter how much you put in.

Obviously not specific enough

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TimberSurf
                  "Fill the system SLOWLY through the radiator cap with premixed coolant (30% coolant, 50% water - use distilled water or soft water if you can)."

If its pre-mixed, why add water?

What do you use for the remaining 20%???????

No disrespect, it just dont add up!
                  Typos are us!!!.

I'll just go and have a word with my typing finger - maybe with a large hammer!!

Comment

Working...
                  X