Strange noise from front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange noise from front

Hi, I seem to have a noise from around the front suspension area. The noise only happens when loaded, ie wife and 2 kids . Its happening when turning right (noise comes from left side), turning left (noise comes from right) noise gets worse the longer the trip, but rarely when I am on my own. Sounds daft but the noise is somewhere between a knock and a boing.Have checked underneath and everything is tight, ball joints are fine, can't find anything with any play in anything that shouldn't. Was wondering if the u/jays could be worn possibly binding up under steering lock and supension load???
    gratefull for help as noise is diving me mad

Is it happening on full left or right lock. If so do a search on, "end stops."
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I greased the end stops first week I had the car. Its not happening on full lock so I know that they aren't touching.
      Any other ideas of what I can check ?

Comment

If i read you right i get a similar sort of thing.

I think what it is, is the front anti-roll bar. when you unload one side of the truck the roll bar on that side pulls up on the wishbone and the rubber bushes at the bottom of the roll-bar drop link compress this allows the top metal washer that has a flange on it to pop out of the hole and sit on the edge, then when you straighten up and put load back on that side in pops back in whith the resulting noise.

this does happen on mine cos i did a little experiment and made it happen by jacking one side right up and had a look.
        I am going to take the front roll bar off at some time just to see if this is what it is, once and for all.
        only cure i guess is to tighten the bottom nut up a good bit but not sure if this will have a detrimental effect on the bushes.
        mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Thanks Stevie, It sounds possible that you have the same noise as me. I will jack up the truck this weekend and see if the washer is doing what you say.
          At the very least I will know that its not something about to break. let you know what happens. Neil

Comment

i had similar thing, but top washer was being pushed over top nut, as it was worn, and the bushes got chewed up
            produced a funny clunk on turning, esp when going through a pothole etc, that aloowed the suspension to extend
            Landcruiser Colorado
            Sub. Forester

Comment

Working...
            X