Transmission Temp Sensor Install - Advice Needed on Two Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Temp Sensor Install - Advice Needed on Two Options

People with 4Runners/Prados/Surfs who have a transmission temp gauge, I have a question for you. I've been doing my research for how to install the temp sender on my 96 Surf ((1KZ), and narrowed it down to two options:

1. The ATF cooler pipe that runs to the rad is connected to the outlet port on the transmission via a brass (?) pipe union that also receives the stock ATF temp sensor. The steel tube is screwed into the union, which is essentially a T-connector. So option 1 is to install a t-connector between the union and the existing cooler piper, which will receive the temp sender. I do not know the size/thread on the tube, but the temp sender is 1/8" NPT. Two problems I see: moving the existing steel tube to accommodate the t-connector (i don't know if there is any slack, and I don't want to cut the pipe), and finding the right t-connector. I am sure if I figure out the thread, I'll find the right adapter.

2. the steel cooler pipe runs to the front of the vehicle, where it is joined to a flexible hose that goes in to the rad (same thing happens with the return connection). So, option 2 is to splice a t-connector with the temp sender into this flex hose. This seems much easier to do, but I am not sure if the distance from the transmission will significantly affect the temperature reading. Another benefit is that i could do this at the same time as installing a transmission intercooler.

thoughts? experiences?

100 Percent Transmission Oil Cooler at same time

First things first,100 percent make your transmission oil cooler a priority & carry this out with your sender installation work.It only takes a thimble full of water to leak from your rad into the transmission to totally screw up this Bullet Proof gearbox.You can splice into the flexibles but make sure you use good quality barbed fittings and quality clamps,as you don't want these blowing off.The Flow to the cooler will be the top connection on the transmission,the return is the lower pipe.There will be a temperature difference,however,i feel this will be minimal due to the speed of the fluid flowing through the pipes.As far as fitting sizes,if you could actually remove one,and take to your local Pipeline Merchant they should be able to help you.I did know,but its probably 2 years since i done this work on mine.An easier way would be to measure the OD of your hardline,and buy some compression fittings & adaptors to come of from these,compression fittings have an olive,which bites deep into the hardline,so offeres a superb mechanical connection.

Comment

Working...
    X