No announcement yet.

Tracking headache!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a thought but have you checked tyre pressures, I found my 3rd gen steering was sensitive to low pressure rear tyres and high pressure in the fronts.

Changing the steering bushes on the rack for the RT Nylon bushes also made a very positive difference to steering responsiveness and preciseness (is that a word???)

Comment

Been to David Bray today, seems like a good chap. Got the truck over the pit and gave it a good wobble about.

According to him the guy at westgate has got it wrong, he said not enough wrong with the track rod ends to warrant replacement, and the steering damper isn't fowling anywhere at all, westgate had said it was catching on the chassis.

He noticed the lower inner wishbone bushes look shot, these are supposed to be new poly ones I had fitted in devon (the garage that gave me the car back with no alignment after changing all the suspension bushes and had me veering across the bloody motorway trying to get home). Bad times!

David seems to think the little camber/castor adjustments for the lower arms is all wrong and should line up (front and back bush on each side), I have mentioned this to nearly every mechanic/tracking shop going as I've always thought that can't be right to have them at opposite angles but I've always been told that it's not a problem to have it like that. How David explained what it would do describes exactly how the steering feels, so this might be it. He thinks everything else looks good and solid Bloody hope so! He even seems to actually like the truck

For those living nearish the Reading area, Triv has recommended a guy called Tony at Wheels in Motion in Chesham for alignment, will definitely give them a look in the future but going to see how things go with David first.

Also as for getting parts from Toyota you may have had trouble getting them from Jemca, they seem to have a policy of not helping out people with imports, every time I'm told that parts are discontinued!

Well I've found that Ian from Inchcape in Sandhurst is really helpful. I actually ordered parts off him while sitting on Jemca forecourt last week after they had said, 'Toyota don't have those parts anymore'.

Honestly think it's easier getting parts for these trucks in the middle of Africa or Aussi bush!

Hi Tony, yep all tyre pressures are good and may I compliment you on the use of the word preciseness, spellchecks happy with it so all good

Comment

Who told you they won't do import parts at Jemca?

Speak to Dave there (Ex Coxon Henley) I've been using him for years for all my various imports.

That said Toyota in general are buggers for discontinuing parts.. especially bits of trim.. you can't buy new rear door handles anymore in black!

It sounds like you caster might be out which knackers the "self centering"

Does the chap in Henley have all the proper digital wheel geometry gear?
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

Is Dave at Jemca in Bracknell? Personally never had any joy here but happy to try again in future. Inchcape crowd were really helpful though, waiting for a quote on near side door shells from them as well, not looking forward to it

Need to find a written off Gen 2 in blue that has perfect doors with the right trim for a ssr-G, I'm pretty sure I'm dreaming though.

I have assumed this Dave chap has the gear as he seemed pretty confident he could get it all sorted but might be worth a call to double check, seemed decent and was very thorough looking it over.

The place recommended by Triv called Wheels in Motion (also called blackboots.co.uk), looks like the shizzle though and not too far from here, going to buzz them in the morning to see what the craik is.

Comment

Called this blackboots place this morning, guy said they wouldn't touch a vehicle with big tyres, did say they would offer alignment only on a standard surf but said mainly they're only interested in performance cars.
            Going to get it booked in with this Dave fella but have to keep looking for a alignment centre that's not scared of some little (by american standards) 33's, shame as they looked like a good outfit.

Comment

Dave (the first Dave... there are too many Daves) is at Jemca Reading.

They have been quite off in the past, to the point where ordering parts felt like a chore.. as if they were doing me a favour selling them (I have literally spend thousands with them, in the last couple of years).

I do know him from ages ago, he's known me through nearly all my Toyotas and is always happy to help.

I'm glad he's back as I have a backlog of parts I needed to order but was putting off!

As far as tracking goes - yes I always put factory wheels on for alignment. (they *just* fit over my Tundra brakes!)

The main issue with the 33s is that the sides bulge out so much, the equipment that sits on the wheel rim doesn't have long enough "legs" to not hit the tyre side wall.
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

Working...
              X