Front axle light clunking noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front axle light clunking noise

I have started a new thread regarding front axle noise rather than continue with an older thread that was titled cv/plunge joint issues as I feel the old thread title may have been misleading.

I've been away for a month and wasn't using the 4runner as I was still having issues when I left.

I have replaced both outer cv joints, both inner cv or plunge joints and all boots. The original cv joint noise issue is gone but I am left with the light clunking noise even after replacing the inner plunge joints so these may have been ok.

The noise sound a little like metal rattling about in a metal drum if you know what I mean, I can feel the clunking too...in 2wd at lower speeds even crawling you can hear it just slower frequency and is most noticeable frequency wise between 30-40 mph, after 40 it seems to be ok. There doesn't seem to be any change in frequency or how loud it is when turning...speed seems to be the only thing that changes the noise. When I drove it with the front axle shafts out I couldn't here the noise anymore although this was only for a short journey.

This job needs done now as I am going to be using it regularly now for the next few months, mot ran out a week ago too so can't drive to any garages to help with diagnosis although if I am being honest I have no confidence in local garages anyway after I have had to fix stuff on the back of their repairs.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where to start looking now? Does this sound like the diff has failed somehow?

What tests can I perform to start ruling out things?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but this is my first jeep and first experience of front diff related issues.

Any suggestions on what this issue could be or any tests I could perform to rule things out would be very much appreciated...I really need to fix this myself as I don't really have any money at the moment and would prefer to have 4wd this winter ready for any snow that may come.

Nothing? Thought there would at least be a little advice offered going by how front axle issues seem quite common...

Any help at all would really be appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by sleepy View Post

The noise sound a little like metal rattling about in a metal drum if you know what I mean, I can feel the clunking too...speed seems to be the only thing that changes the noise. When I drove it with the front axle shafts out I couldn't here the noise anymore although this was only for a short journey.
      From what you describe it sounds like ya bronze bushes are worn (allowing front drive shafts to rub /grate against hub casing... as indicated by ya text in red, when removed the noise disappeared ....
      There are many threads n posts referring to replacement of Bronze bushes on the Forum. Ya might also try posting for "Help" from Surfer's North o' the border, there are quite a few on here. I don't do "Face ache" but that may be worth a try .......
      Good luck with ya reading n fixing !!

14+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !! SoI got another....
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Thanks for the reply diesel weasel :-)

I have searched various threads now and bronze bush issue was one I was looking at however the noise described by all these bronze bush issue threads was more like a screeching or hammer drill, the noise I get is slightly different. It also sounds like it's coming from the centre when driving but I know it is hard to pin point from inside. I thought it may still be diff related, my understanding of how the add system works is not great but I thought taking front drive shafts out would mean less things connected and under load or strain of some kind (that's why I was thinking light clunking could be coming from something else) Noise is like there are loose bits rattling in a metal drum, fairly light clunks that can be felt lightly through driveline at low speeds. The noise although there most of the time does disappear from time to time but generally there at low speeds.

I will try to get a video of it running to help with diagnosis, have been meaning to do some trouble shooting, spinning wheels etc when jacked up to see if I can still hear it....just waiting on the rain to stop for a bit.

Can you visibly see worn bronze bushes? I did check the play in movement and they seemed to be ok but will check all this again.

Thanks for the suggestions, nothing worse when you are sitting round scratching your head about an issue that's on an unfamiliar system.

Comment

When the car is stationary, do you get the same clunk when rocking the car side to side?

Might be this...
          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...g+Differential
          Last edited by Le-Chardon; 22 December 2015, 13:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Le-Chardon View Post
            When the car is stationary, do you get the same clunk when rocking the car side to side?

Might be this...
            http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...g+Differential
            Thanks for the response, I have only just saw this...sorry.

I don't think this is the issue, I just put it back on the roads recently, the noise had quietened for a while but now I am using it again I can hear its still there. I noticed when I had the front on axle stands that if I turn the NSF wheel with my hands I can feel a little resistance at a certain point in the rotation, this appears to also be when the light clunking happens...any ideas on what this could be...could there be an issue with the CV joints or inner plunge joints I installed or is this more likely to be diff related? It doesn't do it on the OSF wheel...I dropped the fro t suspension a little to see if that makes any difference to the noise with the CV being at a more level angle, just starting to investigate this again just now.

Comment

Working...
            X