RZN185 manual transfer questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RZN185 manual transfer questions

I've just bought a 1996 3rd-gen Surf, a 2.7l petrol manual. I was very rushed for time when i bought it, and have had to leave it at my parents place temporarily. This means that I have not even tried the 4WD system. I was wondering if anyone could confirm a few things about it.

1 As I understand, these early 3rd gens have no centre diff in the transfer, so in 4WD the front and rear axles are locked. Is this correct?

2 The transfer shifter has a 4WD button; as I understand this operates a vacuum switch and engages the front diff. Will it only do this with the push of the button, or will the system over-ride it at certain times?

3 How reliable is this vacuum-operated differential system? Does it cut out when the engine stops? Do they tend to decay like the diff e-locker actuators?

4 What lights should come on the dashboard when the 4WD button is pushed? Are there separate lights to recognise the button-push and confirm that the system is engaged?

5 The low-range. Will engaging low-range automatically engage 4WD, or do I effectively have low-range in RWD also?

6 How do the front hubs lock? Or are they locked all the time? I assume they stay locked in reverse?

Anything else I should know about the sysetm? Weak points etc? I need to know that it's in good working order

Sorry for these elementary questions, but I don't have access to the truck just now and I am used to the fully mechanical transfer shift in my pickup.

Cheers

Daniel
    http://eurasiaoverland.com/

Back to answer my own post (again!) in case it helps anyone...

1) Yes

2) Only by the button, or by shifting it to 4L

3) Very reliable in my experience, and enough vacuum left long after the engine has stopped to engage / disengage a few times.

4) Just one light to show that 4WD is engaged. If it flashes, something is wrong.

5) Yes, engaging 4L automatically put the transfer into 4WD.

6) Locked all the time, and also in reverse.

http://eurasiaoverland.com/

Comment

Working...
    X