Bloody Brakes!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloody Brakes!!

I read up a few threads and seen this seems to be a bit of a problem, so lets start at the begin of my tale...

I Changed the lower ball joints and CV boots (i'll write a instruction post for that at some point, as that isn't that easy to do without having a good read up on the forums) while I was at it and had calliper's off, thought I'd change the pads (this is where its all started going wrong)

I Pushed the pistons back in, fitted the pad... and the fluid tank (spelling isn't that good, so will change names of things I cant spell to something I can spell) had too much dot 4 in and over flowed, so I removed some finished fitting everything. I went to seat the new pads, forgetting to check the fluid levels and the tank was nearly empty (nearly 90% sure I got air into the M/C)

Anyways a lot of bleeding later I got a good pedal enough to drive her home from my parents, when coming home noticed the pedal really wasn't there at all, I had to pump the hell out of it to get her to stop.

So fast forwards FIVE months!! A few 100 time trying to bleed the system and 5ltrs of Dot4, (back bleeding, vacuum bleeding, one man and two man bleeding) reading and re-reading the forums and trying everything.

I could get a half decent pedal with the engine off but once the engine is on, pedal is gone.

I decided its GOT to be the M/C as its the original one, so jump onto Milners order a new one, plus two wheel cylinders and brake hoses. Replaced the lot and paid a proper Mech to come down and bleed the system. (I worked as a HGV tyre fitter in the quick fitting motor industry for 4 years so I do have a good idea on how to do brakes) £50 later and still no brakes, Mech said there's no air in the system, so he's done his job and fecked off as I only asked him to bleed the system, still leaving me with out a truck.

So this is where I'm at now, Shoes are nicely adjusted (handbrake only comes up abit) front pads are working (after pumping pedal solid and holding, putting it in 4x4 mode and drive and trying to pull off, front wheels won't turn and just skid along)

ANY ideas on how to get the brakes back? Surely it can't be the new M/C too, as its the exact same problem I had on the old M/C and the Mech reckons the M/C is doing its job... BTW I've checked for leaks and can't find any, fluid level stays the same even with all the pumping.

Only thing I can think of now is the shoes and pads need bedding and I need to just drive on through it, and then adjust the brakes again... BUT it really doesn't feel safe doing that... I'm gona take her out very, very late tonight and test the brakes while nothing else is on the road....

ANY help would be GREAT as this is beyond my skills!!!!

hello mate what truck have you got? if its a 2nd gen did you bleed the LSV over the rear axial?
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

I've got a Gen 2 2.4 auto, I bled the load valve, not sure the mech did though when I paid him to do it though as I was his assistant...

I thought about it trying to bed the pads/shoes without going through it one last time and I'm now waiting on a tool and going to try something else.

I'm clamping the brake hoses and bleeding one at a time (reclamping once air is out), will be able to tell what one is causing the spongy-ness... As I'm sure its still air in the system...

Clamping lines and going, load valve first, followed by NS the OS rear, clamping the line then the load valve, moving to the front NS then OS unclamoing and reclamping lines as I go and then back to load valve as last one.

At least I'll know that no air is getting back into the slaves/calipers...

tool I'm waiting on is a universal brake fluid bleeding cap and I'll pressure bleed it downwards with confidence...
      Last edited by Fatt-Patt; 20 October 2015, 01:04.

Comment

Update

So after now replacing, the M/C, both wheel Cylinders, all Flexi hoses, the load valve, and some of the brake pipes. Still haven't got a good peddle, BUT it will stop at 40mph in under two car lengths so makes me think shoes need bedding and that I've been driving newer cars while my Smurf is off the road, i've got used to more modern brakes (maybe)

Anyway I had the bleed her backwards to get the brakes like this, starting OSF, NSF, LSV, OSR, NSR... Used the ezibleed kits that I bodged up with a uniserval M/C pressure bleed cap...

Also M/C needed another bleed, so that mech I paid to do it, hadn't done it properly in the first place...

Moving onto a new problem I've created now

Comment

Working...
        X