Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereotypical new poster: Electrical problem

Hi all

I just purchased an L reg 95 Surf ssr-x 3.0 diesel, on the way home darkness set in and I realised I should have perhaps checked the lights worked before setting off, though it was a long stressful cross-country journey and was blinded by the joy of finally owning a surf..

I see in other posts people have mentioned similar problems, though I am unable to find an answer - my rear lights, reg plate, front side lights and dash light are all out. I pulled into a garage and swapped out the rather melted looking 10amp in the drivers footwell, checked all bulbs aside from dash and found all to appear in order. I decided it wasn't safe to continue, so called the AA. The technician could not find the issue, but did find that the water pump was leaking after a compression check due to seeing dried brown water around the right hand side engine bay, and prolonged the journey back home by calling for a tow truck. I should add that the temp gauge never went above mid way, so here's hoping it's not anything serious.

After a total of 20 hours we finally got back home feeling worse for wear, with the prospect of potential head gasket failure and electrical issues - (the blowers don't work either), feeling utterly deflated. It also crunched on both wheels near full lock when removing it from the recovery truck. The MOT was done in July and it had barely been used since that point, so I feel a little suspicious.

Anyway, I have read that the water pump is easy enough to do if indeed that's all there is to it, potentially the blowers are an easy fix, I'm not overly bothered about having to do the cv joints, but I'm at a loss with the electrical problem. Can anyone shed any.. err.. light.. on the situation?
    Last edited by ChrisB; 28 September 2015, 21:40.

Bummer. I can't help on the electrics as anything electrical is unfathomable and the work of the devil so far as I'm concerned.

Take comfort re grinding noises on full lock - probably just the lock-stops. Lots of post about that one here. A bit of grease will sort it out. For a couple of days. Nothing to worry about.

I hope some of the more knowledgeable folks on here can help re the lights. I'm also new to Surfs and have found this forum excellent.

All the best. Jon

Comment

Working...
    X