Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke truck - Ball joint removal?

Hi folks,

Its been a while since I've been on here, and as usual its time for some more help

My truck gained a squeak, which I thought I'd tracked down to the front ARB link, it turned out not to be the case, even though it initially went after tightening it up.

It turned out to be my upper ball joint, which decided to shear in half, luckily for me I was stopped at the traffic lights outside a fuel station, as I stopped at the lights it clonked, lights go green I gingerly go forward at which point the drivers side front wing drops several inches. I limp into the fuel station and get out to see this...

So onto my problem, any guides on replacing the upper ball joint? I've searched and not been overly successful, all seem to be for the 2nd gen, which is held in with 4 nuts, the 3rd gen has one big nut with cotter pin, and then the ball joint itself is pressed into "mounting point".

My upper wishbone is very stiff, to the point whereby I can't pull it down enough to give me access to remove the ball joints pin and nut. Would I be OK to get a rachet strap or similar to hold it down, or am I missing something?

Next up the inner CV pulled out as the wheel folded under the truck, I'll be replacing the inner boot, should this just be a case of popping the old boot off and replacing with the new, or do I need to remove the whole drive shaft?

The lower ball joint has died too, but this looks fairly simple, unbolt and pry out, any tips?

Lastly I replaced my brake hoses with the braided stainless steel ones from RoughTrax, this has been ripped in half. Anyone know if you can obtain these hoses individually?

Thanks in advance guys

Rog

WOW - Nearly 50 views and no responses, that's surprised me.

If nothing else I hope my 'experience' acts as a warning for at least one of you. Check your ball joints, if they've not been replaced in a while or to your knowledge, get them checked and for peace of mind replaced, the parts aren't particularly expensive either.

Google surf 4Runner ball joint failure, it's quite a common issue by all accounts.

Thanks again

Rog

Comment

Hi,

did you use the Roughtrax ball joints? I read they are from Camelot, a Taiwanese company.

I'm thinking of doing mine and was considering getting the RT ones shipped here.

Cheers

Comment

Hi there,

Yes I've ordered all my parts from RoughTrax. Just need to get round to fitting them, but struggling to get the old top ball joint out...

Thanks again

Rog

Comment

Sorry I can't help there, I have never done it.

Hope you get it sorted

Cheers

Comment

It looks the same as this Tacoma write up - http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamo.../balljoint.htm
            https://galooph.com

Comment

Cheers galooph, every bit of info is gladly received

Comment

Yup,

Follow that guide and you'll be fine.

I had to use a lot of heat to remove the old upper ball joint, I also recommend sticking the replacement ones in the freezer overnight before refitting, and heating the top of the arm before refitting, as they are hard to get back in, and you can't just bash them with a hammer as you need them.

It's probably worth mentioning that I have all sorts of types of ball joint press, in the end used a hammer and heat to remove, it's a bugger of a job to remove.

I only ever use Toyota ball joints, but I must confess I've never heard of a top one failing first... are you sure the lower one didn't fail? (much easier job!) obviously they both need doing... I'm glad there wasn't more damage!
                More Lift.
                More Tyres.
                More Engine.

Comment

Cheers for the info Karma.

Both the upper and lower ball joints died, I don't know if the top gave up first, I was just faced with my front wheel not so neatly tucked under my truck :/

I've got some time off work at the moment, so I'm going to try and tackle all of the issues and get the truck back up and running...

Thanks again

Rog

Comment

I had that happen with the bottom ball joint, again lucky I just set off & domph!

Had to replace track rod end, bottom & top ball joints.

I undid top ball joint bolt....well they sheared but had no issue with it coming out or replacing it. I stuck a Jack under the wishbone to lift it over the hub, but do watch for it slipping off.

Bottom ball joint was a pig as a bolt had rounded so the hub was removed & the bolt attacked with angela the grinder..... Inner drive shaft just went back in.

Mine wasn't as bad as yours tho.

Comment

the upper ball joionts are double tappered so you need two hammers, come off real easy
                      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Working...
                      X