move spare wheel to underneath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• move spare wheel to underneath

Hey guys can it be converted to be taken off back and stowed like the underside ones? Gen 3 btw. Cheers

I read somewhere that they are fitted with the right bits in the factory and that its a PITA to change over later on. Like the parts are not installed under the chassis and the inside of the rear pillar is strengthened for the rear mount.

It can be done but its not a walk in the park. If you are handy with welding kit and have some I'm sure its easy but its not a bolt and go sunday morning kinda thing if thats what you're looking for.

This info is from 'internet research' rather than personal experience though so take it as you like.

Comment

under mount

If you're quick there's a mount on eBay at the moment. It's a winder with a cable to lift and drop the wheel.

Comment

Cheers I just saw that. So no welding required?
        Thing is tho, now I need a new battery, as it would appear both are buggered!
        What cca do I need if I'm gonna buy just 1 atm?

Comment

I recently found, copied and saved this post from a surf forum

''If you ever need to replace the batteries again, try Ducellier, the D088 and D089 are drop-in replacements for the Surf and we found them for £57 each with free delivery for the pair.
          Passenger's side:
          http://justcarbatteries.co.uk/index....r-battery.html
          Driver's side:
          http://justcarbatteries.co.uk/index....r-battery.html
          ''

cant verify but it might point you in the right direction.

Comment

I just bought two Varta batteries for £65 each delivered next day, 4 year guarantee from Tayna batteries on eBay. One is an 068 and one an 069 - fit perfectly and the truck starts much better now.
            Thats on a Gen 2, dont know if they are the same on a Gen 3.

Again on a Gen 2, looking at my spare wheel assembly underneath, it looks like it would be reasonably easy to retro-fit - I think going the other way is much harder as it requires strengthening of the rear pillar and a different tailgate, as well as changing the rear lights.
            Last edited by triumphstag; 6 March 2015, 21:43.

Comment

Batteries

Now on here yesterday I stumbled upon a link for suitable batteries at £115 the pair. I'm sure if you do a search you will find it. I was browsing the old electrical pages. Hold on, here it is:
              http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/068...atteries-pair/
              Last edited by ajstars; 7 March 2015, 01:24. Reason: link added

Comment

Originally posted by ajstars View Post
                Now on here yesterday I stumbled upon a link for suitable batteries at £115 the pair. I'm sure if you do a search you will find it. I was browsing the old electrical pages. Hold on, here it is:
                http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/068...atteries-pair/

Funnily enough, the alpha ones are the batteries I have just removed and chucked. They were 4 1/2 years old, so just out of warranty. I decided to pay the extra £10 for a pair of Varta ones rather than buy the same again.

Comment

I've just replaced one for now guys, and bought a bulldog one.I'm sure it must have only been starting off one for a while anyway.
                  So, spare wheel to go underneath should be quite easy?

Comment

Re the spare tyre, I'm thinking as a quick fix just getting those cans of foam for an emergency. Anyone else used them before?

Comment

Working...
                    X