Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the middle of front dif sway, but have a problem, help please

Hi all,

I need some help & advice with my diff swap please (gen2 3.0) I'm going from 4.1 to 4.3 ratio after my rear diff packed in

Rear diff was a piece of cake, front diff is not

My old front diff (see pic below) has a spline (?) with a bearing.

This is the other bit of the transfer box:

The new front diffm off a hilux pickup, (but seller assured me it was a straight swap) has an oil seal and looks different, and it wont fit with the "old" transfer box.

So it's now not the straight swoop I was hoping for.

The guy i bought the diff off is posting out the shaft he removed, but said it will then be permanently engaged (but not powered until i press the button on the selector in the truck) but i'd also need to fit free wheeling hubs?

Can someone explain this all to me? i think i understand, but would like to clarify it.

Cheers

James

Thread title has a typo, pretty please could an admin alter it? It should read:

In the middle of front diff swap, but have a problem, help please

Comment

you only need to care about freewheeling hubs if your bothered about the small reduction in MPG from the extra drag of rotating the shafts and diff from the rotation of the wheels...if your not bothered about MPG then not an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
        you only need to care about freewheeling hubs if your bothered about the small reduction in MPG from the extra drag of rotating the shafts and diff from the rotation of the wheels...if your not bothered about MPG then not an issue.
        Cheers Andy,

Im pressuming (hoping) the other transfer box will still yave the vaccum pipes etc, or will i have to start blanking the off etc?

Comment

I have no experience with the hilux pickup...your description reads like they don't have ADD...in which case you'll be removing all that.

With luck someone who does knows will be along soon.

I'd remove mine if it ever packed up and get freewheeling hubs...

Comment

Just wondering of it would end up effectively being like Vince's mod in this post:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=66744

Comment

could be...

Comment

Bump...

Does the original must allow oil to flow to the transfer box then, whereas the hilux pickup one has a seal to stop this?

Comment

I'm confused with this thread

The "transfer box" on my Gen 2 is attached to the gearbox and drives the front and rear diffs via separate drive shafts, one to either end of the truck.

I'm going to assume this is the same on yours as I wouldn't think they built one differently ??

The pick up Diff is permanently driven and up to at least the mark IV, they came with manual hubs that you engage when you require 4 wheel drive, and you engage the transfer case as per a Surf. There is no ADD on a pick up hence the reason you will need manual hubs if you fit the replacement diff.

If you do not fit manual hubs you will be driving the diff constantly via the road wheels and this is not recommended, even on the pick up. You cause wear and tear on the drive train risk wind up and will shorten the life of the CV gaiters.

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
                    I'm confused with this thread

The "transfer box" on my Gen 2 is attached to the gearbox and drives the front and rear diffs via separate drive shafts, one to either end of the truck.

I'm going to assume this is the same on yours as I wouldn't think they built one differently ??

The pick up Diff is permanently driven and up to at least the mark IV, they came with manual hubs that you engage when you require 4 wheel drive, and you engage the transfer case as per a Surf. There is no ADD on a pick up hence the reason you will need manual hubs if you fit the replacement diff.

If you do not fit manual hubs you will be driving the diff constantly via the road wheels and this is not recommended, even on the pick up. You cause wear and tear on the drive train risk wind up and will shorten the life of the CV gaiters.
                    I'd agrue the point on wind up...the transfer box (the real one on the gearbox) won't have engaged the front prop, so no transmision wind up, just extra drag. freewheeling hubs not essential.
                    Last edited by andyverran; 22 January 2015, 20:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Trunks View Post
                      Bump...

Does the original must allow oil to flow to the transfer box then, whereas the hilux pickup one has a seal to stop this?
                      No idea what you mean there?

Comment

First off that is not a picture of a transfer box.The pictures are of the ADD servos and syncro. Assembly. THE PICKUP DOES NOT HAVE THE ADD SYSTEM . As Growler has allready said, the pickup four wheel drive system works differently to a surfs system. That is why you are having trouble fitting it.Try removing the diff from the casing and swopping the diffs over.
                        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Sorry for the confusion chaps, I thought it was the transfer box.

I see now what you mean and an not too worried, I have free wheeling hubs, so no issue there.

Regarding blocking of the vacuum pipes, is that just a case of a screw or bolt with sealant screwing into the end of pipe, for a basic quick fix?

Comment

if you trace the vac hoses back there's a tank with some valves in the OS wing that can go...keep ffollowing it back till you get to something that's not ADD related and block it off there...

I've not looked but you may find you can loop a pipe back on itself. Check it out and fill us in chap.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by andyverran; 23 January 2015, 19:39.

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                              First off that is not a picture of a transfer box.The pictures are of the ADD servos and syncro. Assembly. THE PICKUP DOES NOT HAVE THE ADD SYSTEM . As Growler has allready said, the pickup four wheel drive system works differently to a surfs system. That is why you are having trouble fitting it.Try removing the diff from the casing and swopping the diffs over.
                              Will that work? Will it fit and swap over?

Comment

Working...
                              X