Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original spot light wiring

Hi everyone!

I've mounted some new ( old ) spot lights on my bull bar. Had to made a cross bar too which the forum search helped and I used chequer plate over angle iron and domed head nuts, looks very proper now!

I have two original looking connectors coming out grill and a original looking switch in centre consol with spot light symbol on it.

I'm wondering if I can simply connect to that. What I mean is did surfs have proper relays etc fitted from new or as I've read somewhere there not well wired and burn out light stalk etc?

My last surf had spooters and the light stalk burnt out one e on main beam!

Thanks!

Originally posted by Tokyo drift View Post
    Hi everyone!

I've mounted some new ( old ) spot lights on my bull bar. Had to made a cross bar too which the forum search helped and I used chequer plate over angle iron and domed head nuts, looks very proper now!

I have two original looking connectors coming out grill and a original looking switch in centre consol with spot light symbol on it.

I'm wondering if I can simply connect to that. What I mean is did surfs have proper relays etc fitted from new or as I've read somewhere there not well wired and burn out light stalk etc?

My last surf had spooters and the light stalk burnt out one e on main beam!

Thanks!
    hi pal i just sorted mine out from the original switch in the centre console mine had a bosch relay under the steering column which seams to be fine for the front fogs/spots as it was prob done at the factory depends really on what size/watts your spots are mine are just standard 55w and are spot on for what i need
    people normally just wire in the spots to the high beam which burns out the stalks so an independent relay is always best and easy to do
    any pics of your bull bar mod ?
    Last edited by glennyboy; 16 January 2015, 23:07.
    Go Hard Or Go Home

Comment

Not very good picture as its dark and number plate reflection ruins a straight on shot, will post better ones in morning.

I used some industrial grade chequer plate over 3mm angle iron for strength. Used 2 chromed domed nuts and 2 8x20mm bolts with washers.

Looks good ( of course I will say that 😎 ), it's strong enough to stand on and most importantly it won't rust for a very long time!

I got materials for the princely sum of 10 quid from engineering workshop and the chap even bent the chequer for me!
      Attached Files

Comment

Not very good picture as its dark and number plate reflection ruins a straight on shot, will post better ones in morning.

I used some industrial grade chequer plate over 3mm angle iron for strength. Used 2 chromed domed nuts and 2 8x20mm bolts with washers.

Looks good ( of course I will say that 😎 ), it's strong enough to stand on and most importantly it won't rust for a very long time!

I got materials for the princely sum of 10 quid from engineering workshop and the chap even bent the chequer for me!
        Looks good pal top job !! I need to do something like that with mine as its looking dated now
        Have u wired up the spots yet ?
        Go Hard Or Go Home

Comment

Thanks for the compliment!

Couple things to add is i buffed the edge of the angle iron so that the chequer is a snug fit against each other. Could've used 10mm bolts but one mounting hole in the original bar is elongated and smaller, so rather than drill it I just put in smaller bolts but these are more than enough. I used 40mm angle iron for a more proportioned look to the bar and the length is 29" exactly.

I haven't wired them up as working and weathers been to foul up here, even for me! ☔️❄️⛄️

If I flick the switch in the centre consul you can here the relay click do I'm assuming it's been wired correctly from factory. I think a lot of the lights get bashed over the years or people keep them! I will test the two wires tomorrow to see if 12v is actually there!

Comment

Thanks for the compliment!

Couple things to add is i buffed the edge of the angle iron so that the chequer is a snug fit against each other. Could've used 10mm bolts but one mounting hole in the original bar is elongated and smaller, so rather than drill it I just put in smaller bolts but these are more than enough. I used 40mm angle iron for a more proportioned look to the bar and the length is 29" exactly.

I haven't wired them up as working and weathers been to foul up here, even for me! ☔️❄️⛄️

If I flick the switch in the centre consul you can here the relay click do I'm assuming it's been wired correctly from factory. I think a lot of the lights get bashed over the years or people keep them! I will test the two wires tomorrow to see if 12v is actually there!
            ha might have to use them lengths then lol !

As for the switch yours is prob the same as mine so should be able to just plug them up ok from the original switch ,
            i use that switch in the centre console for my lower corner fogs and a separate switch/relay on the dash for the centres works a treat !
            is always good to see where your going lol
            Attached Files
            Go Hard Or Go Home

Comment

That's a clean looking old girl there, chrome especially! My old one had chrome bumpers and I must admit, it looked a lot nicer in that trim!

As I say I will take better pictures tomorrow as have now got round to figuring out how to post pictures.

Thanks for the input on switches etc folks, just need advice from folk who still had original fitment gear!

Comment

That's a clean looking old girl there, chrome especially! My old one had chrome bumpers and I must admit, it looked a lot nicer in that trim!

As I say I will take better pictures tomorrow as have now got round to figuring out how to post pictures.

Thanks for the input on switches etc folks, just need advice from folk who still had original fitment gear!
                thanks pal she's still ok for 20yr old !, done a fair bit of work on her but keeps me out of trouble lol !!
                Go Hard Or Go Home

Comment

Working...
                X