Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear

Comment

I'm still not sure as to how the head would suddenly go for no reason.

It's never got hot enough to enter the red in the time I've owned it, it's only gone from the normal smidge under half to under 2/3 up the scale.

The Surf is becoming an annoyance when it was meant to be a bit of fun for winter months. It's not even used hard of road after the diff incident. everything is slowly slowly, steady steady.

I'm still not 100% convinced I had bubbling on cold start up, I think it was the vibration through the rad the when I started it with the expansion top off it behaved in a simlar way and with no physical link between the two (Top off) that can't be pressurised straight from the get go.

It will have a whole day of doing nothing today and I'll check the coolant levels and cold start it again today and video it, I'll also get it tested to tell me one way or the other!

Maybe I'm clutching at straws to try and avoid the inevitable, but I can't see why it would suddenly start and exactly after the winch was fitted.
      Last edited by robjames; 29 September 2014, 12:06.

Comment

Only other thing I can think is, make sure your rads not full of mud behind the fan cowle. You were in all that mud and water last week were you not? My mates landy had a similar problem and all the fins at the back were packed solid.

Comment

Originally posted by spanner_monkey View Post
          Only other thing I can think is, make sure your rads not full of mud behind the fan cowle. You were in all that mud and water last week were you not? My mates landy had a similar problem and all the fins at the back were packed solid.
          I've had a look and it doesn't appear to bad! But I will check again in the back side.

I sprayed the crap out of it with a hose pipe after it warmed up thinking the same.

I do recall both top and bottom rad hoses being really hot though! should there not be a noticable temperature differance between them?

If I could get to the poxy thermostat I'd whip it out! But alas I did not have enough extensions, tripple jointed wrists, or small hands. Plus I really didn't want to round a bolt off!!

Comment

My brief investigation didn't yield anything!

But I gave the rad a good dosing with hose pipe as much as I could reach with the winch and ac in the way.

No coolant lost in 20 odd hours though......

Comment

I'll know more tomorrow I'm running it in for tests

Comment

4 little holes in the rad!!

Comment

A lot of pressure!!

But the sniff test says nothing hydrocarbon-ish

Funny coloured liquid says not a lot but need to let it cool down!!

New rad ordered, new thermostat ordered, and 10000cst oil ordered

Comment

I've realized on these 3.0 trucks that the cooling system even in good condition is a bit marginal.
                    I have a digital gauge on mine after fitting a new head and it will sit at about 84° all day long even fully loaded in very hot weather BUT go up a hill and it starts to rise almost instantly. I've seen a max of 99° after a long haul up a hill about a mile long. The Toyota gauge never moves....
                    In my mind that says the cooling system is only just up to the job and any extra heat from the transmission on hills heats it up quickly!

Any shite on the rad and the winch blocking some air flow will push it over the edge I think.

As a note my truck never overheated and only lost a very small amount of coolant and ran perfectly once started although a bit rough for 20 secs from cold.
                    It had 20 + cracks in it!
                    Last edited by Dobbslc; 30 September 2014, 19:54.

Comment

All fixed

New rad, thermostat, rad cap, and a service on the viscous fan and all seems well in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by robjames View Post

I do recall both top and bottom rad hoses being really hot though! should there not be a noticable temperature differance between them?
                        yes bottom hose should be noticeably cooler
                        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                        My choice
                        Back off

Comment

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I may have spoken to soon!!!

No overheating now, this is good!!!!

But last night I hopped in the truck to move it to get the bin out and it had a rough cold start idle and smoke (couldn't tell what colour it was dark!)

I'll check for coolant loss tonight and try it again over the next few days to see

Comment

Insert your own expletives!!!!

Heads gone!!!!!!!!

A geezer out of the rad and after 20 seconds of running water is flowing out the expansion!!

Marvellous!

Comment

Originally posted by robjames View Post
                              Heads gone!!!!!!!!
                              Really???

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                                Really???
                                You sound surprised? I was expecting a smug I told you so? I nearly commented as much haha!

I'm baffled and amazed how it can suddenly go after a total of under 200 miles since being perfectly fine last weekend. I honestly thought the rad swap had cured it.

Comment

Working...
                                X