Driveshaft gaiter & diff brgs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveshaft gaiter & diff brgs.

First serious question after my initial post in General.

Found the drivers side inner driveshaft gaiter split and the joint exposed to the weather. Don't expect manuals to arrive for a few days so....roughly what is the procedure to do a boot on one of these? Shaft right off (how?) or can it just be unbolted at that flange on the diff end then pull inner joint apart to swap gaiter???

Also compared to all other vehicles I've ever seen there is a huge amount of play in the drivers side inner end of the shaft where it enters the diff, it really wobbles about in all directions...not just the usual modest small in-out play. Is this anything to do with the auto-disconnect diff being in unconnected mode at rest. Does it all tighten up when 4WD is engaged?

Pass' side seems to have usual minimal play.

If this was a normal FWD car I'd say the offside diff bearings were shot!

Thanks

David

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/cvjoints.htm

this may help.
    mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

On the same note as above, im doing this job tomorrow, does anyone know the torque settings for the driveshaft bolts both diff end and six dome nuts as well, i dont have a manual so cant look it up.
      Cheers
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      [FONT=times new roman][/FONT][COLOR=red][I][B]1994 SSR X LTD 3.0[/B][/I][/COLOR]
      -------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks for the link, its a help. For me the first diagram and a couple of the images didn't load....odd.

Still be interested to hear from anyone who has done the job...and who is used to the amount of wobble usually found on that drivers side inner joint where it comes out of the diff.

David

Comment

Are you talking about the joint tulip or the shaft that the tulip bolts onto. The bit that actually goes into the diff. The shaft going into the diff should have very little play in it. The drivers side has nothing to do with the ADD , it is always connected to the diff. Sound like your bearings could be gone alright.
          Derek :
          1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
          [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Seems a few of us are doing the same thing at the minute. On the play issue I'm sure Ive read that its normal to have play at the diff end of the front axle recently, its definitely come up not so long ago.

Getting the hub off was like this: I undid the 12mm nuts and took the regular washers off too. I wound a bolt into one of the two holes in the hub face, it took a 13mm socket, I wound it until the hub started to separate from the flange, then I put another bolt in the opposite hole and did the same, then I undid both. As I undid them one cone washer fell out and the rest were loose, lovely.

Took off the circlip, then a washer, then gave the first 54mm bolt a good few taps with a screwdriver and wound it off. The screwdriver made $!!!!e of the soft steel however and I'd be tempted to get me hands on a socket for the refit. The tabbed washer was easy, then the 2nd 54mm bolt was loose already and wound off easy.

I havent got the axle out yet and instead of hijacking this thread I've started my own. I'll be watching to see how we both get on. I think I should have removed the shock bolt first to get the axle out and now its too late coz its rightly wedged between the anti roll bar droplink and the shock shackle.

Comment

Yes Delboy I guess I'm talking about the "tulip" you refer to. If the drivers side shaft was removed by unbolting at the inner flange I would expect the tulip is the bit that stays in the diff. I reckon this will wobble like mad with the shaft off. Wonder how the tulip fixes to the diff? On old Land Rovers there is a nut/splitpin on diff input flanges and the correct torque is crucial to setting them up.

Jim good luck with yours. I've a starter to change as well as this gaiter and will wait for the mail-order manuals to arrive before I attempt these jobs, next week I hope! I'll keep an eye on your other thread.

David

Comment

Jim, you dont have to remove the 54mm nut just to take the driveaxle out. You only need to do that if you want o remove bearings etc. All that needs to come off is the hub, 12mm bolt with brass washer, snap ring and steel washer.

David
                No , it shouldnt wobble like mad. There obvioulsy should be a small amount of play in it but nothing major. Get it checked out if it is wobbly. (ooh er!)
                Derek :
                1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
                [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Just to round this off I've changed the driveshaft gaiters (going to post on Jims thread about that) this weekend so had the shaft off and a chance to wobble the offside axle flange.

I've proved it is no different with the axle solenoid engaged or not.

The play is excessive, in and out plus rocking...wobbly is the best word.

However it drives smothly in 2WD or 4WD with no noise or vibration. Given the cost/hassle of taking the diff out I think it is one to monitor.

Plenty more priority jobs before that!

Image shows the flange with the driveshaft off.

David
                  Attached Files

Comment

Diff bearings

Hi did you ever solve the diff bearing problem, or did you sell the surf?

Andy

Comment

Working...
                    X