Running temperatures ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running temperatures ?

Hi guys - Now the owner of a Land Cruiser but still lurk on here for a read now and then so wondered if opening up this question would shed some more light or info up ?

Hi guys - added a checp water temperature gauge to mine last week and getting what I think is a high reading. Once warm its at just over 100C or with the heaters fully on for a few mins its about 95C.

I though it might be the gauge so swapped with both a spare of mine and a friends and all shoing the same temperatue.

Then though it could be the sender so swapped that with another one and still the same temperature.

Also run seperate lives and earths direct from the battery and still the same so im ruling out the gauge being dodgy and thinking im running slightly hot.

Dropped the coolant out of it tonight and it just seemed like water in there. Chucked a hose though the radiator and seems to flow freely, also put it down the upper engine hose and gently trickles slowly out the bottom (slowly due to the thermostat being in the way im assuming).

Bled it all with the heater on hot and the front end a few feet up in the air until there were no more bubbles and im still running at the same temps !

The only things I can think of that are left is the viscous fan as it does not really roar unless you have the revs quite high or maybe the water pump is not circulating it well enough ?

The gauge is measuring from the middle of the top radiator hose so am I reading in the right place ?

Also it only seems to be the top third of the radiator that actually seems to have any heat in it - the lower two thirds and the bottom radiator hose are rather cool

Sorry for the mega long post !

Took the fan apart today and added some of the 10,000 cst oil and checked the operation on the metallic spring under heat - both seem ok.

Im still doubting the gauge that ive fitted tbh. Using an infared Ive pointed it at all kinda of areas and got the following readings :
    Top hose is about 80ish
    Top of radiator is 75ish
    Bottom of radiator is 25ish

Even the head and block are about 80ish so can the coolant inside really be over 20 degrees higher ?

Im tempted to buy a different guage and sender from a totally different supplier to see what they say !

Comment

This could be an issue with the thermostat not opening fully?

Comment

I might be wrong but if the stat was not opening or only partially opening, wouldn't you overheat fairly quickly, as the hot coolant (or at least most of it) would be sent back to the block rather than into the top of the rad?

The infrared T readings seem correct to me, dropping as the fluid makes its way through the rad...hence a fairly cool bottom rad.

The positioning of the gauge also makes sense....that's where the coolant will be at its hottest....Do you know at what T the LC thermostat opens?

Maybe try a "non cheap" one...
        cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Paulpen View Post
          Took the fan apart today and added some of the 10,000 cst oil and checked the operation on the metallic spring under heat - both seem ok.

Im still doubting the gauge that ive fitted tbh. Using an infared Ive pointed it at all kinda of areas and got the following readings :
          Top hose is about 80ish
          Top of radiator is 75ish
          Bottom of radiator is 25ish

Even the head and block are about 80ish so can the coolant inside really be over 20 degrees higher ?

Im tempted to buy a different guage and sender from a totally different supplier to see what they say !
          25'C seems more like ambient temps to me.
          One of the issues with most infrared thermometers is they need to hit the target
          Point it at the sky and see what temp you read
          My aftermarket temperature gauge follows my calibrated k type thermocouple within at most .3 to .5 of a degree and is mounted on the top hose.
          It reads a fairly constant 88'C it also has a 88'C stat.
          I would junk your aftermarket unit and try a different one.
          I got one from eBay for less than a £10 that does time temp and voltage
          All very accurately
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulpen View Post
            Hi guys - Now the owner of a Land Cruiser but still lurk on here for a read now and then so wondered if opening up this question would shed some more light or info up ?

Hi guys - added a checp water temperature gauge to mine last week and getting what I think is a high reading. Once warm its at just over 100C or with the heaters fully on for a few mins its about 95C.

I though it might be the gauge so swapped with both a spare of mine and a friends and all shoing the same temperatue.

Then though it could be the sender so swapped that with another one and still the same temperature.

Also run seperate lives and earths direct from the battery and still the same so im ruling out the gauge being dodgy and thinking im running slightly hot.

Dropped the coolant out of it tonight and it just seemed like water in there. Chucked a hose though the radiator and seems to flow freely, also put it down the upper engine hose and gently trickles slowly out the bottom (slowly due to the thermostat being in the way im assuming).

Bled it all with the heater on hot and the front end a few feet up in the air until there were no more bubbles and im still running at the same temps !

The only things I can think of that are left is the viscous fan as it does not really roar unless you have the revs quite high or maybe the water pump is not circulating it well enough ?

The gauge is measuring from the middle of the top radiator hose so am I reading in the right place ?

Also it only seems to be the top third of the radiator that actually seems to have any heat in it - the lower two thirds and the bottom radiator hose are rather cool

Sorry for the mega long post !
            Hi PAul

What land cruiser is it?

Steven

Comment

Hi guys

Played with it all and tried a multimeter with temp probe in the top hose and was getting a staead 80 even though the gauge said 100 !

Ordered a VDO gauge and now getting more sensible readings so the other gauges will be going back !

Comment

Working...
              X