damage to paintwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damage to paintwork

parked in supermarket, once a month shopping trip! Came out to find that I had scratches on both sides and must have been caused by some over enthusiast trolley speedster in their 80s. Mostly affected the arches and some by the rear nearside. I have a full bodkit on it and the deep scratches are about 1" to 2" long. (8 in all) I took it to a paintshop and they said it would cost £600 to put right as with it being black and laquered they would have to do the complete rear bumper (2 scratches on it) ane would have to remove the arches etc to get it right. Seems a lot of dough to me for a few scratches. Is it true what the bodyshop is telling me? Is there any way I could do this work myself as it is the laquering that baffles me. Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers.

Have you tried your local "chipsaway" ?

They sorted my mates o/s wing on his SEAT a treat.

And I don't think they're mega expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by yungjamie
      parked in supermarket, once a month shopping trip! Came out to find that I had scratches on both sides and must have been caused by some over enthusiast trolley speedster in their 80s. Mostly affected the arches and some by the rear nearside. I have a full bodkit on it and the deep scratches are about 1" to 2" long. (8 in all) I took it to a paintshop and they said it would cost £600 to put right as with it being black and laquered they would have to do the complete rear bumper (2 scratches on it) ane would have to remove the arches etc to get it right. Seems a lot of dough to me for a few scratches. Is it true what the bodyshop is telling me? Is there any way I could do this work myself as it is the laquering that baffles me. Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers.
      Just done some spraying on mine. I would say it's doable however you need somewhere out of the wind and the main thing is to not put too much on at a time. Mine is laquered Metallic. Just sprayed rear offside panel, tailgate and bottom of all 4 doors on mine.

Cheers

Comment

damage to paintwork

Andy, did you use the aerosol cans that match up 'spot on' or did you use compessor etc. Did the laquer go on alright? I have a garage that I can spray them so to keep down the dust.

Cheers.

Comment

seems like a lot... i had the sill on the mondeo done for £50

needed a lot doing too cos she'd run over a boulder and had gouges about 12" long and pretty deep too.. they filled it rubbed down resprayed (primer, metallic paint and laquer)
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by yungjamie
            Andy, did you use the aerosol cans that match up 'spot on' or did you use compessor etc. Did the laquer go on alright? I have a garage that I can spray them so to keep down the dust.

Cheers.
            I used Aerosols mixed up to the right colour - On my blue over silver the blue is Vision Paints code 8E3, the PPG one is too purple.

Laquer went on alright except you need to flatten it down with 1500 grade wet and dry when it has gone off, then cutting compound and then T cut / paint restorer. Then wax polish it and looks as good as new. Put a fairly thick coat of lacquer on as you will be rubbing it down.

If you have got access to a spray gun and a workshop to keep it out of the wind then all the better. Lacquer goes on much better under higher pressure than the aerosol can give. I use UV protecting lacquer (U-POL clear number 1).

You will need a gravity fed spray gun (if you are not experienced, that is the easiest to use) a 13+ CFM compressor and then wet the floor under the car to hold the dust away.

The hardest part is the preparation, the spraying is easy if you have prepared well, degreased, flatted down the base, got all ripples, gouges etc out with filler or body stopper, masked up very well (mask as far as you think you will need then add a good 10 inches further).

Cheers

Comment

I scraped the rear n/s wheel arch extension on the garage wall. I was annoyed and over enthusiastically pulled forward to correct my mistake (wifey says I lost my temper).

I went to the local paint factors and they found a match. They also supplied a can of clear laquer and a tub of stoppers.
              My previous experience of DIY body repairs was the old plastic padding. These modern stoppers are marvellous.

After laquering the arches we went on hols for two weeks. A slight rub over with the very finest wet/dry you can get, some elbow grease with the T Cut and a polish has made them as good as new.

PS I have now stuck some offcuts of carpet to the garage wall.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

thanks guys, appreciate your tips.

Jamie

Comment

Working...
                X