Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusion about which suspension for Surf

Hi,

It's that time to change the factory suspension on the Surf, but the only problem is I am getting very confused with terms such as body lifts, suspension lifts and the like.

I want to change the suspension of the Surf, i have ruled out buying genuine Toyota parts (the wreckers that stock them other here, have old 2nd hand ones from Japan), but I am unsure as to what aftermarket shocks i can use. The original shocks have and electirc like connector while most aftermarket shocks i see have a round hole type connector.

What aftermarket shocks can i fit to the Surf?

What size springs should i fit

Also i would like the Surf to be raised abit but not too high. I want it to be high so that no mods are needed (ie only fitting shocks and springs) Is this possible?

Hope this hasn't been too confusing to read...

Cheers
    1994 Toyota Hilux Surf 3L SSR-X Limited (Manual)

Originally posted by drf-bro
    Hi,

It's that time to change the factory suspension on the Surf, but the only problem is I am getting very confused with terms such as body lifts, suspension lifts and the like.

I want to change the suspension of the Surf, i have ruled out buying genuine Toyota parts (the wreckers that stock them other here, have old 2nd hand ones from Japan), but I am unsure as to what aftermarket shocks i can use. The original shocks have and electirc like connector while most aftermarket shocks i see have a round hole type connector.

What aftermarket shocks can i fit to the Surf?

What size springs should i fit

Also i would like the Surf to be raised abit but not too high. I want it to be high so that no mods are needed (ie only fitting shocks and springs) Is this possible?

Hope this hasn't been too confusing to read...

Cheers

Your best option is a 2" suspension lift but I don't know of dealers down under. Try doing a search for old man emu I'm sure they do springs for the surf as for shocks I have just replaced mine with pro comp es3000's (non adjustable)
    Last edited by jotto; 7 September 2004, 14:00.
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

the electrical connection is just for the hard/soft settings... it's not rally needed and shocks can be fitted without it.
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by jotto
        Your best option is a 2" suspension lift but I don't know of dealers down under. Try doing a search for old man emu I'm sure they do springs for the surf as for shocks I have just replaced mine with pro comp es3000's (non adjustable)
        Old Man Emu (OME) is manufactured in Australia. It's designed to cope with the rough stuff that the outback can throw at you. They do springs, shockers, lift kits etc etc etc.

There is also a thriving Surf site in Australia as well who can be of a lot of help with regards to knowing more local suppliers etc. they are at

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/

Cheers

Comment

Hi,

Here is where i'm confused...

If i buy normal shocks for the Surf, will I be able to get it a bit higher with doing any modifications to the actual brake lines etc?

Just, by changing the shocks and the springs?

Comment

Originally posted by drf-bro
            Hi,

Here is where i'm confused...

If i buy normal shocks for the Surf, will I be able to get it a bit higher with doing any modifications to the actual brake lines etc?

Just, by changing the shocks and the springs?
            Couple of inches at most before you will exceed the length of the shocks. Above 2" you will probably have to increase the length of the brake lines. Also if any of the lift is body lift you may need to modify steering shaft, gear selector, radiator and bumper mounts.

Cheers

Comment

I'll just be doing suspension, no body lifts lucky, thanks to everyone for advice...

Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X