Suddenly loads of white smoke?!! HELP needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suddenly loads of white smoke?!! HELP needed please

Hi guys. I wonder if any of you can offer any help, or shed some light on this for me?

Went to start my Surf this morning (KZN130) It started straight away but was a bit lumpy and blew out tonnes of white smoke for about 10 mins. In the 4-5 years i've owned it, it has never once failed to start immediately, nor has it ever smoked. Anyway, a checked - and topped up - both the water and oil, but then went to start again and it was as if the engine was jammed or something? She then started as normal upon second attempt, but again, smoked like crazy. Once the smoke clears - 5mins - it runs as well as it ever has and with no smoke at all. But as soon as i turn it off and on again, i get the same, tonnes of smoke, and the weird jamming thing? Took me about 6-7 attempts at the ignition before it started. It's just like, i turn the key and it kind of 'clunks' and nothing else. But once i figured if i held the ignition on after the clunk, it turns over and starts as normal.

Does anyone have any clue what this is as i use it every single day, and could do with it sorting asap.. Very strange how it's just done this all of a sudden..
    www.vidamusic.co.uk

With the weather changing it could be something as simple as condensation burning off from within the exhaust.

White smoke normally gets people screaming head. But the fact it settles would suggest it's not the head.

When I first got mine it white smoked for a bit after first start. But I just give it a few treatments of diesel fuel stuff (the crap you pop in the tank) and it's never done it since.

Comment

White smoke

With the engine running, not when its hot, take the rad cap off and look for bubbles. Also look in the expansion bottle. If there are bubbles then its certain the head is cracked. The reason the engine will not turn over is water is in the bore and the piston cannot compress until the exhaust valve opens.

Comment

Thanks for you advice guys. I've just been back out and started it with the rad cap off - and there's no sign of bubbles at all in either the rad or expansion. It dd take ages to fire though? It's normally a turn of the key and its running. I had to hold it on the key then for a good 5 seconds? Turning over nice and fast - battery wise - just no fire?? Tonnes of smoke again too.

Will risk driving it to my gig tonight, but will also drop some of that diesel fuel stuff and see what happens. I am kinda thinking the worst though!
        www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Check for bubbles/frothing when the engine is warm/running.
          Is the fuel primer on top of the filter working? If the diaphram is split then the fuel will drain back to the tank causing difficult starting and you'll be drawing air into the fuel which could create white-ish smoke.

Comment

Truck is in the garage now, he said the head will be off tomo and be pressure tested. Don't really know anything until then.

Hope it is only the gasket and not the head gone bad!
            www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

If the head is cracked you won't need to pressure test it, it will be clear as day look between the inlet and exhaust valves.
              Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

worst has happened folks! Damn it....

I've looked online at Milners and it's like £600 for a replacement?! wtf?!

Is this my only option or does anyone have any advice/better ideas?

Can't believe it..
                Last edited by VidaMusic; 17 September 2013, 19:13.
                www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Thats milners price, fully built up ready to pop on. It's over £800 at Roughtrax.. Jesus.. i need to have a serious think about this really don't i?

Bloke who's looking at it for me asked me to ask you fella's if it also would need all new head bolts as well?
                  www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Yep new bolts and gasket set too.

It's only worth doing if your truck is absolutely mint condition. If it isn't just buy another decent truck for £1200 ish.

Sell yours to a breaker for ~450 and it's cheaper than getting the head done (if you're paying a garage to do it)

btw if your mechanic needs to ask if the bolts need changing then would you really trust him to do a proper job ?

Comment

Is that crack not fixable? Doesn't look like its spread to the valve seat? Plus it runs to the injector port rather than the other valve? Might be worth checking out first?
                      ALL THE GEAR!............no idea!

Comment

Originally posted by zem_41 View Post
                        Is that crack not fixable? Doesn't look like its spread to the valve seat? Plus it runs to the injector port rather than the other valve? Might be worth checking out first?
                        Na fecked

Comment

£700 lighter now, but taken a box full of new boys to the garage.. Just thought sod it. Still love the truck so told em to fix her up ;-)
                          www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Good choice mate. Mine did it shortly after buying it (hmmmmm) Now you know its good for another 100k miles if need be.
                            Just don't overheat it!
                            The cracks are ( we assume ) caused over time, but are a result of overheating.

Get your rad fins cleaned out if you've been playing in the mud, and fit an aftermarket temp guage.
                            "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Best putting new rad , new thermostat, new hoses, new rad cap, new water pump at same time. Also do oil in viscous fan. Get them to check the turbo oil pipe for leaks as it's really easy to do while head is off. Could do contacts in starter while the heads off.

Easy time to block off EGR too.

Comment

Working...
                              X