4 wheel drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 wheel drive

I have a 1994 3.0L SSR-X. Can anyone tell me if I am right in thinking that I have to reverse to get my truck out of 4 wheel drive, as when I press the button to disengage nothing happens till I back up. I was also told that I should back up about a metre (something to do with the freewheel hubs ?) Is this true? On the instrument panel (left hand top corner) is an oil gauge......is this temperature or pressure related ? I hope these questions are not too stupid but it would be nice to know the answers.

thanx

I have a 1994 3.0L SSR-X. Can anyone tell me if I am right in thinking that I have to reverse to get my truck out of 4 wheel drive, as when I press the button to disengage nothing happens till I back up. I was also told that I should back up about a metre (something to do with the freewheel hubs ?) Is this true? On the instrument panel (left hand top corner) is an oil gauge......is this temperature or pressure related ? I hope these questions are not too stupid but it would be nice to know the answers.

The guage is oil pressure.

You don't always need to reverse up, the 4WD should disengage as you drive forward, if you've had it in 4WD on the road or hard surface (which you should'nt do), you may need to reverse up to unwind the transmission as it gets jammed up if the wheels can't slip.

You don't have freewheeling hubs unless they have been retrofitted by someone.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by farmboy

thanx
      ? free wheeling hubs... if you have auto locking hubs the you do need to back up to release them... if you have free wheeling hubs then they are manualy dis enguaged by turning the wheel hub centre, but most 4runners/surfs have ADD Auto disconecting differentials... that is the hubs are perminantly connected and just the diff engages. When selecting 4wd (2nd gen) drive is transmitted to the rear and front left wheel, the vacum switch then slidea a locking collar which locks the RH front wheel with the left. To enguage full 4wd in this instanse it takes approx 1/2 a rev of the wheels to engage 4wd form 2wd and the same to disengage. This is done either forwards or in reverse.
      The oil guage is oil pressure and not temp.
      Hope this helps
      Jon
      BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        You don't always need to reverse up, the 4WD should disengage as you drive forward, if you've had it in 4WD on the road or hard surface (which you should'nt do), you may need to reverse up to unwind the transmission as it gets jammed up if the wheels can't slip.
        Do even the 3.0's have selectable 4x4?
        Thanks
        tim
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Yes
          Mike G

Comment

All 2nd Gens 2.4 and 3.0 are part time 4wd, 2H for road use, 4H and 4L or getting muddy.

3rd gen 3.0 trucks are full time 4wd, but also with a 2wd option as well, 2H or 4H (center diff unlocked) for road use, 4H (center diff locked to make it like 2nd gens) and 4L of offroad use
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
            X