Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flakey Chassis Rust

Hi all, again

Whilst under the motor, with the camera, I took a few snaps of a couple of the rusty areas on the chassis that have me concerned.

I just wanted to know if it's terminal because it's very flakey. Not just surface stuff. It's not just these areas, either.

To be honest...the photos don't show how really flakey it is. Some of the edges look layered.

I've got a job on cleaning it all (it's always been part of the plan). But am I better off just sourcing things like cleaner wishbones from a breaker than cleaning these up? Will the chassis rails clean up from this?

I want the underneath to be a gorgeous black. Not a horror show like it currently is. But don't want to weaken anything.

Kind regards to you all

BTW: http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54512

Salute you sir

If only mine was as clean as your before picture. Actually...if only it was as clean as the rust spots in your before picture!

Comment

Get yourself an angle grinder and a wire brush cup wheel and get stuck in. If you want to do it thoroughly then strip all the suspension off and put in new bushes and shocks. (might as well do wheel bearings / discs etc while it's all apart) The rest of the process I answered here.

Check your front chassis crossmember for rot - if the rest of the chassis is that scabby the front bit may need repairing.

Comment

I looked at a'99 Disco the other week you could poke your fingers through....that looks fixable to me...and a lot of it looks very minor. Might turn out to be less of a crisis than it looks.

As ever:
        http://www.dinitrol.co.uk/classic_cars.aspx

I should charge those guys for the advertising lol.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
          Get yourself an angle grinder and a wire brush cup wheel and get stuck in. If you want to do it thoroughly then strip all the suspension off and put in new bushes and shocks. (might as well do wheel bearings / discs etc while it's all apart) The rest of the process I answered here.

Check your front chassis crossmember for rot - if the rest of the chassis is that scabby the front bit may need repairing.
          Yeh...I'm buying up all of that stuff bit by bit for a big make-over. Got quite a lot to be honest.

That thread was about technique (and I saved it, thanks) but this is about whether or not it looks terminal. Photos don't do it justice. Maybe I should have bumped that thread

Will double-check the cross-member but I'm sure it was ok. :
          Last edited by Sylux; 20 August 2013, 23:13.

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post

As ever:
            http://www.dinitrol.co.uk/classic_cars.aspx

I should charge those guys for the advertising lol.

Aye

Comment

Working...
            X