Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiot. Wheel nuts.

Hi

Serious question with a serious answer would be nice as I need my truck to get to work tomorrow. Then feel free to rip the p1ss.

I've just fitted my new wheels and tyres and appear to have been a little over zealous with the tightening procedure. I've snapped two (yes two, that's where the idiot part comes in) of the studs, on different wheels. Will I be ok to drive it until I can get replacements?

So to summarise, two of my wheels only have five nuts holding them on, is it safe to drive?

Thanks for the serious answers and a double thanks for humour, if there is any.

Originally posted by Bonk View Post

So to summarise, two of my wheels only have five nuts holding them on, is it safe to drive?
    Yes but get it sorted soon.

What the hell were you tightening them with?

Cheers

Ben

Comment

I'd be inclined to loosen the other 5 and torque them up properly *cough*, but if it was me i'd drive to work gently...**that's not advice, it's your call**

Torque figure is traditionally 50% of breaking strain of the bolt....so the 5 remaining may be a bit close to the limit....and cornering adds load obviously...

Comment

As long as you're not touring Europe with a full load & a caravan in tow, nothing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
          I'd be inclined to loosen the other 5 and torque them up properly *cough*, but if it was me i'd drive to work gently...**that's not advice, it's your call**

Torque figure is traditionally 50% of breaking strain of the bolt....so the 5 remaining may be a bit close to the limit....and cornering adds load obviously...
          Sorry, torque is traditionally blah with the blah some kind of percentage with blah of the bolt.

I don't know what any of that means.

I tightened it til it broke.

I'll drive carefully, I always do.

Thanks for your reply though, seriously.

I'm such a ####.

Comment

Originally posted by Tig View Post
            As long as you're not touring Europe with a full load & a caravan in tow, nothing to worry about.
            So, who told you I was a gypsy?

Comment

Sorry, torque is traditionally blah with the blah some kind of percentage with blah of the bolt.

I don't know what any of that means.

I tightened it til it broke.

I'll drive carefully, I always do.

Thanks for your reply though, seriously.

I'm such a ####.
              Quite simply put, but yourself a torque wrench and you won't do this again

Comment

So, who told you I was a gypsy?
                You let the cat out of the bag in post #1.

Comment

Your local Stealer should have these in stock ....

11+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

Had similar on my Alfa (I know, I know), sheared of one of the bolts on one of the driven wheels, put the other 4 on and drove carefully to work and back. On the way back I had stop for a bus pulling out, the steering wheel was wrenched from my hand as the car dived towards the curb. When I checked it 3 of the 4 bolts had sheared off and the one remaining bolt came out in my hand.

If it was me and based on my experience, I wouldn't risk it. The cost of a bus ride / taxi fare / walking (depending on distance) is well worth still having a car / being alive at the end of the journey

Comment

Update.

Took it to our local tyre place to get them to check the torque settings. (I will be buying a torque wrench by the way, thanks for that advice) It appears there was something wrong with the spacer bolts as all the other nuts were done up to about the right tightness. A couple were actually a little looser than they should have been. Arnold Schwarzenegger I'm not, so I thought it odd that I'd snapped not one but two.

I'm now going to replace the whole lot to be on the safe side. The ones I used came free with the wheels and tyres I'd bought, so were second hand.

Lesson learnt.

Cheers for all the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by RebelV8 View Post
                        Had similar on my Alfa
                        Must have been original factory fitted equipment

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_D View Post
                          Must have been original factory fitted equipment

Ben
                          Oh yes, certainly was original equipment. Worse thing was the wheel nuts on an Alfa 166 are only used on the 166, nothing else fits and they are £10.00 each

First and last Alfa for me, it also blew all the seals in the brake master cylinder and blew the water pump while I had it, only owned for about 5 months as well. Would of been cheaper to use my Charger as a daily driver for 5 months

Comment

Not surprised by that! A mate has an Alfa right now that has been bleeding him dry since the day he bought it, lovely car but very unreliable. Parts are dear and they seem to be designed to make work outside of a main dealer almost impossible.

Ben

Comment

Out of interest, what would be involved replacing the damaged studs?

Comment

Working...
                              X