Radiator change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator change

Hello again, I went camping this weekend and on the way back, climbing a big hill, the temp gauge rose, upon reaching the top I had a little bit of spray appear on the windscreen. So I pulled over only to find that the radiator had failed and was spraying out in front of the car. Obviously this was where my interest disappeared and and the recovery man was called.

So I set about changing the radiator with one off my spare truck, finally managed to do it with a degree of swearing and clenching of fists but yeah, happy days. Changed the thermostat in her aswell, for good measure. Filled up the reservoir as she had lost a great deal of water and started her up...all was looking kosher, no leaks etc, top hose got warm, fan kicked in, all was looking well. Until I checked the reservoir to find that it was still full and the engine hadn't drawn any water. I was obviously ready with a load of water to be able to juice her back up to optimum levels.

So this is where my query lies. The car got hotter than it usually would and failed to cool itself within a workable degree through circulating the water, no water was drawn from the reservoir of which she must have needed as she'd dumped a load during radiator issue and change. Does this suggest that there is a blockage somewhere, if so where?? Or do I have to question the performance of my water pump??

Cheers in advance guys.

Mozza,

You refill the cooling system thro' the pressure cap NOT by
    filling the expansion tank. you are running your engine with
    no coolant that's why it's getting so hot.

Hope this helps.

Gman.
    If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...nk_in_your_car

Comment

Originally posted by GRASSMAN View Post
        Mozza,

You refill the cooling system thro' the pressure cap NOT by
        filling the expansion tank. you are running your engine with
        no coolant that's why it's getting so hot.

Hope this helps.

Gman.
        So what you're telling me is that I've performed a legendary schoolboy error.haha. So I'm not going to be working to a max or minimum, just load it up until the pressure cap brims??

In my defence my intention was to get it running with water to check for leaks etc then drop it and load up with mixture....thanks for your prompt reply, I'd have lost sleep over this.lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mozza706 View Post
          So what you're telling me is that I've performed a legendary schoolboy error.haha. So I'm not going to be working to a max or minimum, just load it up until the pressure cap brims??

In my defence my intention was to get it running with water to check for leaks etc then drop it and load up with mixture....thanks for your prompt reply, I'd have lost sleep over this.lol
          Yes, the expansion tank only needs to be about half full at any time,
          just hope you have escaped without cracking the head
          Search for burping the cooling system to get all the air from it.
          When you get it running OK, take it to a garage and have a block test
          done to be sure.

Gman.
          If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Oh I've no worries about the head, the only ever time it's gotten even remotely hot was when the rad went and after I started it this afternoon...it went above what I consider to be normal an it was shut off. its not been ran hot, I'm in no way risking anything when it comes to running temperature with these cars.lol.

Cheers for all the insight chaps .

Comment

Working...
            X