Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust in rear quarters - is this bad?

Hey guys

Just wondered on whether this is an expected issue and whether there has been worse!?

This is drivers side rear wing behind the cargo box - this is as bad as it gets this side, small hole, the rest of it is solid

This is passenger side, which seems to be much worse and has rusted through a strip along most of the panel. Still plenty of solid metal left though and more likely just causing more problems with water coming in

What are my options here? I have previously had an issue with my E30 BMW like this and I just cleaned it up, cut off any rotten metal, painted up with kurust, over painted with hammerite then covered with lead flashing tape, then covered that with tetroseal. I know I could get it welded up, but I'm guessing this is not structural?

Would like to get opinions on whether I should be particularly worried and what people thing are my best options here

Thanks

Matt

Take your back arches off and see what you find.

One of my arches simply fell off it was that rotten. I broke away the rot and gave it a coat of krust and hammerite. I have left it at that as it would be a hell of a lot of work to rectify it. I will need to tigerseal the arch back on as the mounting points are totally gone.

If I were you I would take action while its still worth repairing if its not that bad.

Comment

Working...
    X