Rear tailgate and window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear tailgate and window

Right, you're going to probably be fed up of hearing about this issue with the surf. However, my rear window worked beautifully on the key, dawdled a bit in warm weather but never the less still worked with a bit of patience, all until a friend of mine decided to pull on it to help it up....cheers pal.

Where my mither is regarding the situation is that I believe the window to have come off its runners??? As the motor sounds to be in good nick as it still makes all the noises when the key is in, and worked nicely beforehand is it likely to be damaged by all the pulling and dragging??

Either way I'm going to have to have the tailgate open, but rather than having to do it again, are there any kind of service/precautionary measures I can take to ensure smooth sailing in the future....I have another surf that I'm breaking that can be doner if necessary....I just don't fancy having to fix or replace something that isn't broken.

Thanks in advance guys, appreciate anybody that takes the time to help me out....other than that, I'm North Wales...why not drop by .

Once you've dismantled the tailgate and it's guts...it really is an easy thing.

Whip of the carpet panel, metal panel and plastic membrane.

Check it over. Have a look at the mechanism and see if anything is obvious.

It takes under 5 mins to remove the panelling. It should answer 90% of your questions

Maintenance would be greasing the runners and side slots etc. Lube moving parts and grease them to prevent any further water issues.

Comment

Cheers Sylux, I've had the inner panelling off before when it was stuck down in the rain..I'm just hoping nothing untoward has happened with the window being forced.. :s

Comment

The main thing I've found is keeping it well lubricated. Mine was a little laboured until I did what Sylux just recommended. Greased the side runner bits and wd40'd the cogs and anything that looked as if it moved. Goes up and down like a dream.

I'd also recommend keeping your back window clean to stop any dirt going down with the window.

Comment

Personally I would grease the cogs and use a silicon spray on the rubber runners around the window.
          Would clean all the rubber runners first bit of wet rag pushed in to them you be amazed how dirty they get. Then spray some silicon lubricant in them I used to do all my windows like that.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

It's looking like its going to be a thorough clean and grease up then, providing the wind calms and I don't get any rain I may well be having a bash at it today. Will it be worth my while stripping the motor out or attempting to do it in situ??

Appreciate the responses fellas.

Comment

I found it easy to do in situ.

Trick it into thinking the door is closed by flicking the side latches. Then ease the window up a bit, spray, up a bit, spray. Don't go too far as the window will be unsupported.

Also you can get to it all via the boot (tailgate closed and window up) if you can be bothered to squeeze in there.

But removing everything is easy too.

Comment

The way the wind is blowing today I'm actually liking the idea of putting the seats down and lying in the back for a bit.haha.

Have you bothered refitting the waterproofing (clear plastic) I'm not seeing the need for it as the internal of the tailgate never sees water.

Comment

Mine was already raggy when I got to it. It had a 3rd party sealant added.

I just lay it back on after finishing.

Comment

Right, everything has been cleaned with wd-40 and re greased to death. However the window is still intermittent, seems to be sticking in places. The nylon rollers that engage the window fitments seem in good order aswel so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Has anybody ever tried to fit a right hand motor in a mirror image kind of sense, replacing the coil?? Or is this a bit of an outrageous idea....would it be as easy as constructing a bracket, taking the fixings from a right hand mechanism and incorporating them, then taking a spur from the left hand motor??? That way it's governed by the same switches etc....please advise guys.

Comment

Right hand motor bolts in fine- just cut its 2 wires and reverse them to work the right way round off the switch.

Sorry I misunderstood- do you want to use 2 motors on the mechanism ? If yes I've never seen that done on any of the forums..
                      Last edited by wishbone; 25 May 2013, 21:56.

Comment

I'll let someone else answer that one.

But when you say intermittent...is it at the exact same place each time? If it is then it's a good chance it's mechanical. If it's in different places then it's likely electrical.

Comment

Have a read through my thread 'rear window relay' in the electrical section, may help, obviously it's up to you how far you go!
                          Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                          Tony

Comment

That's a cracking insight, definitely worth having a go at. I think I'm at that stage now as the light maintenance hasn't made an amazing difference.

Comment

Working...
                            X