X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronze bushes

Hi all,

My bronze bushes have started to make an awful awful racket:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRECWhhy8ME this was my soundtrack driving home this evening.

Now I have both of them here that i ordered from roughtrax a while back,

Looked at the threads on here and am just looking for a few final bits of info:

Going to tackle it in the morning,

I have access to a floor press, can i use this to press in and out the bushes?

Also, ill need to remove the stub axle, do i need anything more than a simple socket & spanner set to do this?

Is it easier to try and leave the stub axle in place to change them or is it best to remove the whole lot??

any help appreciated

take the hub assembly off, its easier than trying to shortcut. A socket/ spanner set, a trolley jack, you will need a block of steel or hard wood to hold the upper arm up. Dont forget this as it can be a shite if you dont.
    well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Thanks for the reply muddle,

Ill do that so, i wont forget, cheers !

Feck almost forgot, do I need a large socket for a main hub nut? i vaguely remember reading something that there was a 50 or so mm nut to remove on the hub?

Comment

Put the bronze bushes in the freezer for 24 hours and take them out just before you need to fit them.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Put the bronze bushes in the freezer for 24 hours and take them out just before you need to fit them.
          Ill pop em in now, ill be doing it tomorrow, i presume its to make them "shrink" as much as possible??

Comment

Said id follow up on this,

Went well on saturday, well kinda, attempted to get cracking at it at home but soon realised the task would be much easier with air,

So called to a relation and went at it with the use of some proper tools and some useful instruction and help got the job done without major trouble

Hardest bits to do was removing the upper & lower ball joints, removed the whole lot rather than trying to split them.

Tapped out the old bushes with a chisel, and pressed the larger one in with a hydraulic press, tapped the smaller one in with a copper hammer.

The inner & outer taper bearings didnt look 100% so we changed them for new ones - luckily they had em in stock in the local hardware, very easy.

Took 3 hours in total, lots learned too.

Thanks for the help here lads

Comment

Working...
            X