Rust/corrosion in waterways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust/corrosion in waterways

I have got my engine back in now and am in the process of connecting everything up. I found I have a fair bit of corrosion and rust in the waterways. I did my best to clean it but of course most of it is unreachable.

I did some research but struggled for a definite answer. will running some coolant flush through the system remove this scale or is it just snake oil.

Some say it can eat away on the inside over time but of course I would flush it out properly. But I don't want any harsh chemicals attacking the inside of my band new cylinder head.

Also Is it wise to run the engine while the hose pipe is in the top of the radiator and the drain plug is removed? Or should I just go with running, draining and refilling.

Any pics ?

Do you mean the engine block waterways?

The coolant flush should be ok, but if the corrosion in the waterways is that bad then it will only be a matter of time before they leak but once again pics would be good.

If the engine is in, is the head on as well?

If you have the engine in and it is "water tight" but you don't or can't run the engine you could rig up a bit of pipe with one of those electric drill water pump attachments and use that to circulate the coolant flush.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

The block waterways yes.

I can't get pictures at the moment as the trucks not with me. Its not really bad but I am just trying to preserve it really and get the cack out that I can so the whole system is nice and clean right the way through.

I wont be doing it just yet as I will be putting the knackered old radiator back in to start with to make sure its running right before I spend more money.

Once it has had a test run I will put a new one in and flush the system. No point in freeing up deposits in a radiator i'm going to throw away. I Just read some bad things about flushes and wanted to confirm.

Yes the head is on, I built it all back up before I dropped it in.
      Last edited by Rob5464; 26 February 2013, 23:26.

Comment

Working...
      X