Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heating, Temperature

Greeting!
    I recently got a 1991 Hilux surf, 2nd Gen, 2.4. She is driving fine however a couple of small problems have surfaced.
    I have no hot air from the "blower"/heater in the front, yet the back "blower/heater", that is located between the seats works fine . As you can imagine de-misting the windscreen is a pain and the lack of heating.
    Also the engine temperature gauge seems to reach the halfway mark pretty quickly, even after a minute or two of light driving,is this normal?
    The coolant level seems ok and is just above the min mark. There is a little bit of white smoke in the morning on starting but the mechanic said this was ok??

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Kurt

As for the Demisting I have had that on mine. If you look on the drivers side of the lower foot well check to see if the runner in the white nylon track is motoring all the way to the correct position, it may need a little push in the right direction and some WD40 to help.
    The temp gauge seems about normal to me. Mine gets to the set point even though the digital gauge only reads about 47 ish on its way to 75.

BTW have you got a thermostat fitted ?

Comment

Hi Kurt,

I'm no expert as I've only had the Surf since May but I'm learning as I go

My rear cab heater never worked but my front did. Anyhow it has started to blow moderately luke warm now. The point of me posting my woes on your thread are that after much searching of these pages I found stuff that may help you.

Under the bonnet there are two pipes from the coolant system that go through the bulk head to the heater matrix inside the cab, one is hot water in and the other is the return. On the inward pipe is a small box with a lever, this controls the hot water flow.

First check hot water is actually getting to the inward bound pipe and if it is move on to the little lever box thingy.

If you change your cab heater to cold and then check the lever things position in the engine bay then switch to the hot setting and check, the lever should have moved. If not then (like mine) the cable that controls it is broken or has come unattached. If so you can just move the water flow lever to the hot setting until you can be arsed to fix it.

If that cable isn't broke then there is another that controls the (possibly) the part Webbo was talking about.

It may be that the matrix itself if blocked which I believe is the case for me which means a coolant system flush and refill which is fairly straightforward (I have since learned from others here ) but not so when you have no garage and it's snowing!

Hope it's an easy fix for you, and if not there are people here that know Surfs inside and out/
      Last edited by Mark7081; 18 January 2013, 18:45.
      Leaky Surf

Comment

Forgot to add.

Normal operating temperature seems to take ages on mine at the moment (I am hoping because it is so cold outside) so don't know what is normal at present.

Also @Webbo, do some Surfs not have a Thermostat? Where would I locate the area it is supposed to be if it is fitted?
        Leaky Surf

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...plastic+levers

The rear heater works independantly of the thermostat.

Comment

Heating Temperature

Hello

Thanks for the feedback, Ive checked all the levers and push-rods in the footwell, and they all seem fine. Their mobility is good. I now think it could be more-so an electrical problem, however I coud be wrong. Ive just noticed that two fuses are blown, one behind the glove box that says AC 30a, and another in the fuse box under bonnett, that reads CDS FAN 30a. Could this have anything to do with the heating problem??

I will try new fuses tomorrow and if not I will go the route of checking the the two pipes from the coolant that go to the heater matrix.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kurtoppermann View Post
              Hello

Thanks for the feedback, Ive checked all the levers and push-rods in the footwell, and they all seem fine. Their mobility is good. I now think it could be more-so an electrical problem, however I coud be wrong. Ive just noticed that two fuses are blown, one behind the glove box that says AC 30a, and another in the fuse box under bonnett, that reads CDS FAN 30a. Could this have anything to do with the heating problem??

I will try new fuses tomorrow and if not I will go the route of checking the the two pipes from the coolant that go to the heater matrix.

Thanks

All of those fuses are to do with the A/C not the heater.

Check that the heater valve on the bulkhead moves when you operate the hot/cold slider control on the dash.

Comment

Greetings,

Ive checked the lever under the bonett and it moves fine when I move the control inside, so its not that.
                Would a complete coolant system flush be the next step???

Also take a look at these photos, they may have something do to with the coolant system? I have a feeling something is not quite right.

Regards,
                Kurt
                Attached Files

Comment

All of those parts are to do with the A/C.

The next thing to check is the heater hoses where they go through the bulkhead, give them a squeeze and see if they feel crunchy inside. If they are then a heater matrix flush may be needed.

Comment

Yea, your right, its the pipes, they feel like they are full of crushed ice, there blocked up alright. How should i proceed with the matrix flush out??

Also on the separate issue of the photos and the A/C, am i right in being concerned about those pipes that look like there were disconnected from something??

Many thanks,
                    Kurt

Comment

Check this page out and Wishbone's comment http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...coolant&page=2
                      As I said earlier I was intending doing a flush on mine but put off because of the weather. I did contemplate just flushing the matrix but I figured that if that was full of gunk and blocked if I flushed just that it would simply get blocked by any crap left in the rest of the system.

Let me know how it goes?
                      Leaky Surf

Comment

Just bear in mind that those pics relate to the 3.0 and not the 2.4
                        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Heating, Temperature

Hi,
                          Many thanks to all for advice, I did a full coolant flush yesterday, I more or less followed the instructions on this thread. It seems to have worked perfectly as its like driving along in a sauna now.

Kurt

Comment

Working...
                          X