Are window motors the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are window motors the same?

If you can save me some time and messing please advise if this is practical to swap motors like this...

My 2nd gen Surf's commercial now, the rear passenger windows are disconnected and blanked off.

My tailgate window motor is gone, so would like to replace with one of the rear passenger window motors which I've checked are still there hidden away in an awkward place - are they the same size? and same bolt pattern?

Looks like I have to take out the whole mechanism to get at the motor bolts?

Is there a handy way to permanently lock the rear passenger window / mechanism in up / closed position, after motor is taken out?

Was thinking of 2 bolts through the door frame to the window supports - instead of the mechanism, if I could manage to drill through at the right place - one side bolt is visible but not the other

Anyway maybe the motor won't swap for tailgate or it's a stupid idea for some other reason?

... so I took out the ns rear window motor but it was dead otherwise it would have been interchangeable

it is screwed in so have to take out the whole mechanism to get at it

Now... the os rear motor is sided for that side which is different to the tailgate motor but I think I would have enough space in the tailgate to fit it upside down

Problem would be fitting the dud motor back into the os rear mechanism to keep the window up as I don't think there's space to fit it in door upside down

I took the tailgate motor apart and all good except water got in and rusted the rotor coils at bottom, dont suppose there's any point in trying to soak it in anything and let dry, wd40 and try it again?

(it was short circuiting when I tested it on the battery terminals, was sparking on terminals but there was water in there not just corrosion)

Comment

Talking to myself in a public place is a sure sign of madness but I'll keep the thread going as I go

Here's a couple of pics of the gunk inside where water had collected inside the tailgate motor rotor / stator housing

Well the pics speak for themselves, the magnets aren't too dirty, but the coil and conductors are and plenty of rust all round, it was all wet, water dripped out when I opened it, so I'll try to clean in the morning with gt7 and a toothbrush and see if it works

The brushes are ok, still got plenty in them but they could be replaced easy enough if they weren't

fingers crossed....
      Attached Files

Comment

ps the plastic gear drive was a crap production by Toyota - surprisingly - but I'm hoping it will work for a while, oh and the capacitor / condensor may need replacement... well see

Comment

could you not take the bits out of one of the other motors?

Comment

Couldn't you just go to a breakers and take one out of a similar era, other Toyota (such as a Camry), LHS rear? A lot easier and probably just as cheap in the long run.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll try that next if I can't sort this one out - doesn't look too bad

I may have spare rotor coil in one of the rear window motors but other one was in worse condition than the tailgate motor

I'll try the breakers if I don't succeed cleaning this one or swapping out some parts

thanks!!

Comment

was thinking about the plastic gears, maybe they were a safety feature as they would probably shear if something got caught in the window like a kids arm

also wondering about what grease to use, non conductive in motor housing would be ok in tailgate as it's underneath... but if got on the brushes wouldn't work, so conductive grease on the gearing

Comment

think most nineties Toyota/Lexus window motors will fit, passenger side ones are a straight swap. From memory if you get the drivers side you need to turn it 180 degrees and use three bolts to secure it.
                  Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

Working...
                  X