Steering Idler arm gaiter and MOT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Idler arm gaiter and MOT?

Hi Guys, I've not been on here much for a while, but then again my Surf has generally been really reliable and just done its job as my workhorse vehicle.

Anyway at last years MOT I got an advisory for the track rod end gaiters being split. The tester told me that under this years regulations they would have been a failure.

So in preparation for a long overdue MOT I've been replacing the track rod ends, brake pads, and also centre exhaust box (had a huge hole in it, no idea how I didn't spot it).

While the passenger side wheel well was clear I spotted that the gaiter on the idler arm is also split, just the upper one where it pivots. Anyone know if that is also an MOT failure? Can it be replaced by itself or do I have to get a whole new idler arm?

I can't complain about the cost of this MOT though. In 5 years of owning this particular Surf this is the first MOT that will actually cost me anything over the test fee.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

It is unfortunatly. Assuming they notice it though.

Most car parts shops are selling rubber's individually now, you may have to buy a set of different sizes, but may still be cheaper than a new idler arm.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

OK thanks Tony. Looks like I'll pull the arm apart and get the rubber out and take it along to my local motor factors and see what they can do.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Ello, Ello, Ello long time know speak.
        Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux View Post
          Ello, Ello, Ello long time know speak.
          Hi Bob, yup, been a long time. Hope you're keeping well.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Not to good actually Paul both knees are shot and my back is just as bad, l am on crutches now like Chris but l have not put my order in for the wheel chair yet.
            Live Life To The Full

Comment

Working...
            X