Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARB bush replacement.

Hi

I am replacing the bushes, front and rear on the roll bars and drop links before the MOT. Question is, is it easier to do with car sat on floor, half raised to try and level bar or fully lift wheels off the deck.
    First time i've done this, but doesn't look too complicated, unless they are corroded and shear off. Have been round and given them all a spray of release oil so fingers crossed.
    Might sound like a silly question, will I need a pair of spring compressors to replace the front shockers, might even change the springs at the same time.

Thanks

Andy

For the ARB bushes it makes no difference as they aren't under any force when the truck is parked. I would jack it up and support the chassis on stands. There is more room to work when the suspension is at 'droop'. The nut on the lower ends of the drop links are likly to be corroded and can take while to get off. Wire brush well and use Plus Gas if you have it.
    You will need strong spring compressors to fit new springs. DIY car ones are not really strong enough.
    Have fun,
    Mark

Comment

What Mark said!

Soak everything in WD40 before taking ARB to bits, I've sheared a couple of rusty bolts that probably should have come out with a bit more prep.

Take shocks & springs of as a unit by removing front mount plate at the top (three nuts). I tried and failed with heavy duty compressors to get new 20% uprated springs fitted myself, compressors bent by an alarming amount and springs still had a good way to go. I was warned, ignored it and regretted it!!
      Took shocks & springs to my local garage and they built them up for me (I changed top mount as well), only cost me £10, I paid £40 for compressors that would not do the job. Unless you're mental or have serious tools for it, front shock / spring replacement requires garage assistance.

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Ben mentions he changed the top plate at the same time, is it a one of those items that needs changing at the same time as the springs or just do it whilst it is in bits.
        Will give everything another good soaking tonight ready for the weekend.

Thanks

Comment

New rear shocks arrived today, went for the Rancho's from roughtrax. Bottom mounting bolts loosened quite nicely after being soaked in oil for weeks, top mount bolts don't want to play even though they have been bathing in oil as well.
          Is there an easy way to get the bolt off, can get socket and bar on but not enough turn to crack the bolt. All the top shock moves on the rubber mount.
          Is the shock sleeve strong enough for me to get some pipe grips on and turn the top sleeve whilst using the bar to hold the top nut in place.

Just hope roll bar bolts come apart as easy as the bottom shock bolt, that will make me smile.

Regards

Andy.

Comment

I drill a 8mm hole right through the metal shock shroud - as close the damper rod as I can get without cutting into it. Put a long screwdriver through the holes and let it rest against the chassis as you turn the top nut. This has worked for me on the 3 cars I have replace the rear shocks on.
            Mark

Comment

Small angle grinder,bit awkward to get at but I managed ok

Comment

I used vice grips on the shroud and a ratchet head adjustable angled ring spanner at the top, think it is 14mm from memory, tops were a bitch. Fitted new one with a lot of copper grease in case they ever need to come off again.

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Thanks for the advice so far. Tried the hole in shroud and ended up peeling it open with large screwdriver.
                  Going to garage for MOT today, asked him to have a look and see if he can get the buggers free.
                  Did the ARB, they all came apart nice and easy, just the rear droplinks to do when I hear back from Roughtrax regards the size of bushes and nuts, the ones in the pack for the rears are too big!!!

Comment

On the subject of ARB stuff, i have replaced my passenger front drop down link (ball joint at top and bolts through wishbone) now am I right in that the bushes sit on the metal itself where it passes through the wishbone? Also grabbed hold of the bar at the chassis and I could wiggle the bar up and down inside of the D bush, should I replace these bushes too when I do the other drop link?

Comment

Yep, change the D bushes.
                      well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Working...
                      X