toyota 2lte surf starts on key and then dies in run position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toyota 2lte surf starts on key and then dies in run position

hi there this is my first time on this site i have spent the last two months working on this surf and getting no where i found a crashed hilux with a 2.8 3l engine in it i got it running in the truck before i took it out run well no smoke or bearing noise so the convershion begain i took my 2lte out of my surf

i stripped all the turbo efi set up sump etc bolted on to the 3l block plumbed up turbo done cambelt put efi diesel pump in put it all into my surf spent weeks checking wires found i had to replace coolant temp sensor and someplugs off resisters on the diesel pump will start and run off starter massive over fueling i think as very smokey .

i have had that motor running so the only thing im sure of is that should be fine i have never ever had so much trouble with a vehicle in my lift and ive worked on all sort lol

please please any help would be so appreciated heres i vid of it running at its worse

Have I got this right? You now have the 3L with all the Surf turbo parts and EFI pump in the Surf? The 3L usually does not have a Coolant temperature Sensor and also does not have a Crank Sensor, so will never run properly without them.

Nev

Comment

Welcome,
      Glad to see you are getting stuck in!

For starters, have you used any of these before? (see pic) If not, I highly reccomend them.
      Attached Files
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Comment

Hi there nev

Yer I have put the 3l in had the place in block for coolant sensor just had to remove blanking plug and re mounted cas on the front crank pulley and have fixed all the things for fault codes and ideas

Comment

i would guess its the CAS is not right. you may need to adjust it to get the timing right.
            when you start it, the timing is done at the pump so to speak, then the ecu takes over. i guess you have pump timing close enough for it to start but CAS timing is to far out for it to run.

got any pics of the cas setup?

Comment

Hi guys thanks

Hey there I will go buy a new cas today and I will be back home Sunday and will post a pix of see up when I got home dose anyone have the exact distance the cas should be from the pick up ? And the width of pick up ?

Thanks
              Cory

Comment

Pardon?

Comment

hi tweak'e here is that pic

hey man here is the pic also should this model have a limp mode ? so if i disconect the cas should it run in limp mode ?

Comment

yes it does have limp mode but it won't run without cas.

by the looks of it i would try to get the sensor closer.
                    i've been trying to get the timing data but i can't find it.

you will just have to wing it. hopefully you have put the tang on the pulley in line with the factory one on the crank.
                    just from the pic it looks like the sensor is to low. you will need to make an adjuster so you can move the sensor around the pulley.

Comment

Thanks

Hey thanks for the help lug is welded on exactly in the same place took crank out of old seized motor and put pully on it lined it all up before welding lug on

Does anyone no the measurements of that lug that's on the crank as I do not have my old one anymore ?

Comment

Hey thanks everyone

It's going I can't believe it thanks heaps every one replaced the cas and found the earth loose on the back of the head also moved the cas bracket out more to insure the crank angle sensor was only picking up on the lug and not the pully I think that was the main problem

Comment

i'll bet the earth was the problem. i didn't even think of that.
                          would be surprised if moving the cas back did it as moving it back reduces the pulse. but it may be a case of the pulse being to wide and moving it back made it narrow and more accurate. it would be wise to do some experimenting with the location as that will change injection timing.

can you do me a favor please and do a write up on the CAS setup, especially if you can post it on the aussie forum as well.

Comment

Hey man I will do a write up this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by corysurf View Post
                              Hey man I will do a write up this weekend
                              On a proper keyboard and not a phone?
                              With punctuation?

Comment

Working...
                              X